Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ethernet / Web to Propeller — Parallax Forums

Ethernet / Web to Propeller

bdickensbdickens Posts: 110
edited 2008-10-07 17:47 in Propeller 1
We (son and I) have finished the sensor side of our water monitoring package and all works well. All breadboards, but hey; it works. We have one task left besides wires, transmission. Our current design uses serial LCD. We would like to use a network connection. We have a solar powered Linksys router out on the dock now, and we are hoping to find a way to connect a simple HTTP or FTP server. Speed is not a concern. The system updates once every 10min.

I see a lot of posts on this topic, and I'm confused on what would be the simplest option. Pink, SpinStudio, Ybox2, Siteplayer, etc. We are doing this on the cheap, but a few extra bucks to reduce time-to-finish would be OK.

So I'm open to suggestions ? Given my requirements, I'm pretty sure a lot of products can do it but which one is a bit daunting.
Thanks

Comments

• dMajodMajo Posts: 855
    edited 2008-10-07 16:00
    I usually use Lantronix XPort/Xport-AR. PCB is designed for AR type, than I mount the right one depending on the project needs

For serial coms it's very nice also the (http://www.multitech.com/DOCUMENTS/Tutorials/primers/universal_socket.asp) multitech solution, that allow you to change between modem/mobile/wifi/lan solutions. With the right board design just unplug one and plug other solution.

Post Edited (dMajo) : 10/7/2008 4:08:57 PM GMT
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-10-07 16:44
    There is also the Olimex ENC28J60 module. It is easy to interface via SPI. I think there is some Propeller code using it.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-10-07 16:59
    Any solution based on a ENC28J60 chip can run the same software on the Propeller, and there are examples and objects available in the Object exchange.

You mentioned that your project is currently on a breadboard. The PropNIC has a 10 pin right angle header that plugs into a breadboard in addition to the SpinStudio connector. Out of the 10 pins... only 7 are used, 5 of the pins need to be jumpered to the appropriate Propeller IO pin, the other 2 pins that are used are for 3.3V and VSS. That may make for the easiest connection to your project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-10-07 17:47
    The Olimex module will plug straight into a breadboard.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle