Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie question about TV vs. VGA display — Parallax Forums

Newbie question about TV vs. VGA display

ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
edited 2008-10-08 05:10 in Propeller 1
Hi all,

Up until recently, I've been using a TV to display my data, but now its screen is getting overcrowded, so I was wondering if I can get more resolution (more lines of data, more characters, etc.) on a VGA.

And while I'm at it, I guess I should ask what constitutes a VGA.· I've got an old junker Mac, about 10 years old, with a terminal that sorta looks like a TV.· Would that be a VGA?· And is it a simple matter of blowing the dust off of it and matching its pins with the VGA object?·

many thanks,
Mark

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
It might be the Information Age but the Eon of Ignorance has yet to end.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-07 00:14
    The display with the "junker" Mac is probably a VGA display, but may not be if it's old enough.· VGA uses a particular type of connector.· The cable coming from the display should match the socket on the Demo Board or the Protoboard Accessory Kit or some such thing.· If you want to look at a detailed description, look at the Wikipedia page on VGA displays.· That will show you the pinouts and the signal requirements and explain the history of the definition/standard.· Not all VGA displays will show all possible resolutions.· You should be fine with a 640 x 480 pixel display and probably ok with an 800 x 600 pixel display.· Higher than that and you may find that the old display won't accept the signal.· The various Propeller VGA drivers are specific for a particular pixel resolution.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2008-10-07 06:05
    Thanks, Mike,

It's nice to know I have that option, so long as I've got pins left for it. I've just got the raw DIP chip so I'll have to kluge a plug if I go that route.

many thanks,
    Mark

smile.gif
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-10-07 15:05
    There's a nice VGA board on uController.com
    ucontroller.com/documentation/VGADoc.html

He's also posted an instructional for converting it to breadboard use on his homepage.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-10-08 02:40
    If I recall correctly, some of the Mac VGA's used a different connector (like a DB25 2 row). I am not sure which end (computer or screen). Maybe a check of your monitor type on the web may be in order.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2008-10-08 05:10
    Thanks, guys,
    I got sidetracked by some other glitches, so it will be a while before I'm brave enough to pump time into this VGA thing. But I'll definitely need it if I want to cram all my data onto a single screen. Either that, or turn my TV into a hieroglyphic disco display, flashing the room with an ever-changing array of numbers.

cheers,
    Mark