Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TI-83+ Interface? — Parallax Forums

TI-83+ Interface?

Jay KickliterJay Kickliter Posts: 446
edited 2008-10-03 16:51 in Propeller 1
Has anyone successfully interfaced·the Propeller with a TI-83 calculator?·I just switched to HP calculators, and figured·my old TI may make for a good debugging terminal. It has an interesting serial port. It doesnt have an accurate clock, so a regular serial object won't work.·I'd like to contribute to the community since I was never able to get the Propeller to send SMS via the Motorolla c168i (it would respond every other AT command, but would not send a text message), but don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Also, how does Z80 assembly compare to other ASM languages? The TI uses it, and the documentation I've seen so far seems pretty understandable, so I figured I'd learn that before the Prop. Would it make for a good introduction to ASM?

(BTW, I'm still determined to get the Phone to seend Text Messages. I'm obviously doing something stupid, but just cant chase it down)

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-10-03 16:51
    I'd suggest going straight to PASM rather than via Z80. Maybe just read some introductions to the concept of microcontrollers and their assembly languages which will give the basic idea of moving data between registers and accumulators. If you've got a basic knowledge of some assembly language anyway that's probably enough to start with.

Most assembly languages are specific to their particular architecture once you go beyond the basics so getting a more detailed knowledge of Z80 won't really help with the Propeller IMO.