Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gamecube Controller Input/Output? — Parallax Forums

Gamecube Controller Input/Output?

cpucpu Posts: 1
edited 2008-10-02 00:21 in Propeller 1
Hi! I just stumbled upon Parallax as I was Googling about for info- seems to be one of the few communities with an interest in controller mods, so hopefully someone here can lend me some advice/help.

I'm hoping to intercept the output of a GC controller with a microcontroller, and alter the data before reoutputting it via the GC protocol. The microcontroller would simply modify the input of a button press to output a macro command sequence. I'd need to code macros like "Right Joystick all the way left, wait .6 seconds, A, Right Joystick all the way right, wait .6 seconds, A."

I've looked over the GC controller protocol and it seems very much confusing, as I have little experience with programming microcontrollers / circuits.

I would quite like to use such macros for homebrew testing & debugging. My friend and I have been working on a few games, and finally have something worthwhile that we just need to get the kinks out of. Being able to output precise commands would definitely help with this.

I've seen a few Gamecube-to-N64 adapters (i.e. Cube64) and a few threads here about N64/GC coding so it seems achievable- hopefully someone here has something I could work with.

Any tips, thoughts, comments, references, advice, etc. are warmly welcomed.
I'm ready to buy a few Propellers and take flight, if this is at all plausible!

Thank you,

cpu

Comments

• CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2008-10-02 00:21
    you should be able to use some of the routines from the assembly driver for the transmit and receive, you just need to modify it so it behaves as a slave instead of the master for the GC side, including responses for differing commands, if you have further questions about how the code works, just pipe up, I wrote the GC and N64 controller readers in the object exchange and there is very little differing between them

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax Forums - If you're ready to learn, we're ready to help.