Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp TTL Outputs to a CMOS Input for 7 segment display — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp TTL Outputs to a CMOS Input for 7 segment display

MRM92MRM92 Posts: 1
edited 2008-10-01 22:35 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I have a BASIC Stamp II as well as a 4" tall dual 7-segment display that I want to drive with the Stamp.· Its for a Skii Ball Machine!!!· What Fun!!

Anyways, the 4" 7-segment display accepts a CMOS input only of 0-3.3V and the BASIC stamp is TTL at 0-5V.·· Does anybody know how to deal with this or make them communicate with each other?

I also wanted to inquire about using the CLK command and the DATA command with the BASIC stamp.· Does anybody have any experience or sample code they could let me know about?· The 7 segement display I have accept this type of input to set the display and need some help???

If there is anything I am missing, which I am sure this is, please let me know and I would love to discuss this with you
!!

Thank you so much!!roll.gif
·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-10-01 22:30
    I don’t have a part number available right now, but there are chips that interface 3.3V to 5V and work in both directions. I want to say National is who makes such an IC. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-10-01 22:35
    You will need to find a datasheet for this display. Clk and Data often imply some kind of shift register that you'd load using a SHIFTOUT statement, but, without the datasheet, you don't know what you're sending to the display or what it does. Your display may be 5V tolerant or may be destroyed by applying a 5V signal. You don't know without a datasheet.