Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tiny webserver — Parallax Forums

Tiny webserver

BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
edited 2008-10-02 08:35 in Propeller 1
They are trumpeting the PIC 24F here.

http://hackaday.com/2008/09/18/web-server-on-a-business-card-part-1/
http://hackaday.com/2008/09/25/web-server-on-a-business-card-part-2/

The prop can do all that, faster and can be completely programmed from a serial port with no custom hardware.

Surely there is a marketing opportunity here for the TCP enabled to promote the chip!

.. although the Prop does require one more IC as the PIC has onboard flash..

Anyone have a small SD/TCP board fabbed?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Pull my finger!

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2008-09-29 10:34
    The Ybox 2 has been around a few months www.ladyada.net/make/ybox2/
  • mikestefoymikestefoy Posts: 84
    edited 2008-09-29 11:21
    dont think BradC is correct in his assertion that a prop + eeprom is all you need.

The Ethernet chip is also required.

I bet it could be done with a single chip PIC18F97J60 though.
  • Ron SutcliffeRon Sutcliffe Posts: 420
    edited 2008-09-29 11:42
    There is Prop Board with an ENC28J60 chip and code in the OBEX by Harrison Pham. Parallax does sell a prop Web Server card, but writing TCP/IP for Prop, now that I would like to see. I'm sure it's doable, go for it Brad C [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Ron
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-09-29 12:06
    There isn't much point in using a Propeller for an application like that, the PIC is cheaper and does the job. Both chips can be obtained free because of Microchip's liberal sampling policy. Microchip even supplies a free TCP/IP stack.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle

Post Edited (Leon) : 9/29/2008 12:12:49 PM GMT
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2008-09-29 16:48
    I believe hippy was experimenting with 10mbit bit banged ethernet. The end result seemed to be that sending was possible to an extent, but receive was not possible due to the receive timing requirements.

I've written a spin tcp/ip stack + web server for the prop. It requires an enc28j60 + magnetics which only adds $10 in parts to your project.

Webserver running on a prop: shark.fwdweb.com:88/
    Project page: proptcp.googlecode.com/ and harrisonpham.com/embedded/PropTCP/beta/

Attached is a picture of a 2"x2" board I made to mess around with the stack.

Post Edited (Harrison.) : 9/29/2008 4:54:56 PM GMT
    768 x 1024 - 107K
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-09-29 17:04
    Harrison. said...
    I believe hippy was experimenting with 10mbit bit banged ethernet. The end result seemed to be that sending was possible to an extent, but receive was not possible due to the receive timing requirements.

I've written a spin tcp/ip stack + web server for the prop. It requires an enc28j60 + magnetics which only adds $10 in parts to your project.

It was actually your hardware and stack I was referring to.. it's been done, you did it. I just needs some funky publicity [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
  • mikestefoymikestefoy Posts: 84
    edited 2008-09-29 19:17
    BradC,so what you are saying is :-

1. your original statement " although the Prop does require one more IC as the PIC has onboard flash.." was not true

2. you prefer to use a propeller which is more expensive than the PIC24 used in the hackady project ( both use the ENC28j60 )

3. that you still feel that a PIC18F97J60 which has the processor, memory AND Ethernet hardware is not the better solution
    (even though it would be cheaper)

I was told 40 years ago by my University professor, that the definition of an Engineer was " someone who could do for 50cents, what any fool could do for a $"

dont get me wrong, I am not calling you a fool, just pointing out that the best solution is the one which is most appropriate, and cost effective

there seems to be religious fanaticism about the prop which as in all fanaticism, is ill founded

Mike
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-09-29 19:45
    Mike: it depends what you want to do with that "web-server". Just having two static pages and serving them at 1kbit/s is not what I'd call useful. Every processor has its uses. And it is not exactly fanaticism, but the PICs and the propeller are not exactly in the same league.
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2008-09-30 04:33
    OK,
    The Prop is great! for what it was meant to do. A chip that is a jack of all trades is a master of none. I believe in it's balanced capacity, ie. a given set of tasks (yeah I'm going to throw video output in there too), the prop has the edge, and can perform these tasks simultaniously!!!!

Let's see your one-chip-web-server-super-PIC act as a remote terminal for a user!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-09-30 04:57
    Ale, It is a kind of fanaticism you know ... the forum exists for "support" and to nourish potential advocates for increasing and maintaining market share. The fanaticism is not really religious of course, but there is some embracing a "reasonable" solution in extraordinary ways here. Compared to other solutions Propeller is powerful even with the limits we've all dismissed as just inconveniences. Looking in on some of the discussions here after a time away makes me laugh out loud. I just hope that some of the advocates here are able to convert their efforts into revenue. Brad, Hippy, and others here stand high above many and should be rewarded some way for their efforts. Doing what you love is a reward, but what opportunities are being lost because of that? There is only so much to benefit from and learn with so little return.

Harrison, that's a fine looking board. Too bad we can't crack the SDIO WiFi cards for cheap wireless network connections. As always though I'm sure one would run into code-space constraints.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,687
    edited 2008-09-30 06:53
    I really like the Propeller chip, and work a lot with his video and parallel processing features.
    BUT, don't overrate the power of the Propeller.
    Compared with the PIC24 the Propeller has no chance in most applications !

A PIC24H... can execute programs up to 256kByte from his internal Flash with 40 MIPS. Try this with a Propeller.
    PIC24 prices ranges from 2$ to 6$, they have a lot of integrated peripherals, like 12 Bit ADC(!), or 10Bit ADC with 1.1MS, SPI, UART, PWM, USB(!)...

How many MIPS has a Propeller?
    with Spin ~ 0.5 MIPS
    with LMM ~ 5 MIPS
    with native PASM (max 496 Instructions) 20 MIPS
    That is only for 1 COG, but as you all know, you need a lot of cogs for peripheral functions, and small ASM drivers. So the main application runs also on the propeller only in 1 Cog (mostly Spin).

If you take also the price in account, then there are very few application, where a propeller is the best fitting device.
    Especially for commercial use.

Andy
  • Brian FairchildBrian Fairchild Posts: 549
    edited 2008-09-30 07:02
    BradC said...

... The prop can do all that, ...

Speaking as someone who has tried just about every embedded webserver going I think the above should read "... The prop could do all of that, ..."

The fact is that at the moment the Microchip offering is attractive as it offers a very complete stack with just about every protocol you could need for free. The data rate is fine for all small embedded applications and it's relatively easy to extend. At the moment there is no stack for the Prop which comes anywhere near those features. I'm just about to sit down and design a commercial product which will use a Prop to do what I think it's going to do best and a PIC to handle the web server. For me it's about using the 'right' tools for the job and if I can save many weeks of work by using something that's already out there then that works for me.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-09-30 13:47
    This thread has become strangely reminiscent of the the personal computer flame wars of the 80s.

For someone who has enough microprocessor knowledge to be dangerous, the Propeller brings
    these abilities within my grasp. So I guess I'm the "any fool" who can do with it $. <smirk>

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 10/2/2008 2:54:28 AM GMT
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-10-02 02:48
    Great thread... where would we be if there were no controversy?

OBC...

I'm not sure there is an argument here. Everyone is actually correct, but coming at it from a slightly different perspective and with slightly different goals.

To me adding a PIC to a Prop makes perfect sense, if that is what gets the product out the door. And then... when someone does the dirty work and gets the whole thing working at a low cost on the Prop (in a way attracts a lot of attention and is simple to hack), you can drop the PIC.

In a recent thread about adding a CPLD to a Prop, I suggested adding an FPGA to a Prop... for much the same reasons. Not that you couldn't design a multi-prop system to do everything that you want it to do, but taking the shortest path has its virtues.

cameras, memory, internet connections... it is a natural progression, but getting there is not so simple.

Use what works now... get rid of the clutter later.

Rich

Good engineering is like magic...

With the Prop, everyone sees the trick... but who cares? It is still magic.
  • unebonnevieunebonnevie Posts: 20
    edited 2008-10-02 08:06
    Where can I find the schematic for the ybox2. Can't seem to find it at www.ladyada.net/make/ybox2/. thx.
  • Brian FairchildBrian Fairchild Posts: 549
    edited 2008-10-02 08:35
    unebonnevie said...
    Where can I find the schematic for the ybox2. Can't seem to find it at www.ladyada.net/make/ybox2/. thx.
    It's under the 'download' link