Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 — Parallax Forums

BS2

JolacJolac Posts: 1
edited 2008-10-05 01:22 in BASIC Stamp
I'm new in BS2, can anyone give me a tip on how to start doing a project using BS2.smilewinkgrin.gif

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,563
    edited 2008-09-27 16:47
    I would start out by taking a look at this...

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/books/edu/Wamv2_2.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-09-27 16:53
    Go here www.parallax.com/tabid/535/Default.aspx and read.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-28 04:12
    Read all about programming techniques. BS2 specific stuff is good, but just about any modern programming language will have concepts that apply to the BS2. Just be sure to ignore the parts about GUIs and Objects.
  • kingspudkingspud Posts: 128
    edited 2008-09-28 18:41
    Hello,

I think one of the most important things you should do when starting a BS2 project is start small! Take a look at the online documentation and play around with some of the small LED projects and slowly work up to using some IC's. You can use the 4511 BCD chips and play with the 7-segment displays and then go to UP/DOWN counters and so on. When you are ready start using servos and then small DC motors.

Remember to start small and have fun! If you start out with the large project you will get frustrated and end up putting the board aside. Also, don't hesitate to ask questions because that is why we are all here... to help those that are just starting out!

When programming just walk through the documentation and copy in the smaller programs and watch what they do. You will have a lot of fun when you see your 7-segment display light up or flash from 0 to 9!

Joe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death”
    Albert Einstein
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2008-09-28 18:48
    Hello

When using a basic stamp no matter what board you have or chip. I have HWB and a BOE board. The best way for me was to get a kit with your board with a book called "What Is A Microcontroller" and go the the lessons. It shows you how to use the ic that comes with it the 7 segment led, how to control a servo, it comes with a parallax servo and a bunch of L.E.D.'s cable and cd. the BOE "Board of Education" I think can take any of the bs2 cpu's it is in a socket so it can be changed.

that is my 2 cents worth

Badger
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2008-09-28 18:51
    Hello again

I forgot it also comes with some caps, resisters, and other stuff you need to do the lessons in the book

Badger
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-10-05 01:22
    Jolac
    _Welcome to the $STAMP world_. I think you'll like it.See the above web sites @ Parallax. I Highly recommend The
    BS2 Professional Development Board. It comes w/ all the DOC.s needed to make a ton of projects. This Board will also work w/ the BS1,BS2p,BS2pe,BS2sx,and SX28. It uses a RS232 or USB cable. Don't just take my word on it ; look it up @ Parallax.com;you'll love it!!!!!!!!! I almost forgot just about every Accs. comes w/ example codes and the Pro.Dev.Board has everthing needed to get started,Rite out of the BOX!!!
    $WMc%