Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Project — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Project

88WINS88WINS Posts: 1
edited 2008-09-27 20:08 in BASIC Stamp
Hello All,

Im new to the site and new to electronics. I would like to control some things in my car with a basic stamp. I would like to have a remote control that will allows me to control door locks, windows, start the motor, stereo, and build an alarm system.

I have been looking at the BS2sx module and the super carrier board. I also would like to have 2 PIR sensors to use for an alarm system.

Any suggestions will be helpfull.

·

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-09-26 22:03
    Start here www.parallax.com/tabid/535/Default.aspx read What is a microcontroller and work through the lessons then try industrial control and sensors documents.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-26 22:05
    First you have to learn the basics. Start with the "What's a Microcontroller?" tutorial. Learn how to control a relay (see Nuts and Volts Column #6).

Go to the main Parallax web page, select the Resources tab

1) Choose Nuts and Volts Columns. In addition to #6, familiarize yourself with the other columns that see appropriate.

2) Choose Downloads, then Stamps in Class Downloads. In addition to the tutorial suggested already, "Basic Analog and Digital" and the "StampWorks Manual" are both useful.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-26 22:20
    A note about the PIR: they may not be the best. Unless your windows are opaque in the infrared range, then the module will probably sense people walking by outside. Of course, I have not tried this (yet, perhaps) but don't see why not. I'd assume that door locks and windows would be fairly simple if your car is electrified already (see Mike about relays above). The motor might be more difficult since you'd need to basically hot wire the engine, which is most likely protected (by manufacturer design).
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2008-09-27 20:08
    This is a really BIG project.You didn't Spec. year or make So I Fig. your looking @ a late model.If your looking @ an older model this would be much easyer(1990 or older).The problem w/ newer models is the "CHIP".Its just like a $STAMP.It can be programed to do Alot of things.However bypassing its program is not that easy.Antitheift mearsure are programed in,This is a plus for the consumer but a pain for what your trying to do.Things like RFID tags in the KEY and a RFID tag reader in the colum.w/o the right key Its not gonna start.Try useing your door only KEY(the plain no elc.) in the ING. and you'll see what I mean.Have the ELC.KEY handy to silents the alarm!!!....If you have access to a junk yard then this is the place to start.Most junk yards if you explain to the owner what your after will work a deal that you remove all non recyclable stuff from model in trade for what you need....You can't write code if you don't now what the hardware is!!!! ......Hardware=JUNKYARD by day;Stamp$=BOOKS/INTERNET by night!!!!! ?How do you eat an Elephant..one BYTE at a time!!__$WMc%