Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Proto board on criminal minds — Parallax Forums

Propeller Proto board on criminal minds

JWoodJWood Posts: 56
edited 2008-09-28 18:25 in Propeller 1
A little off topic but I had to share. I watched the season opener Wednesday and they used the Propeller proto board to make the bomb in the ambulance. Did anyone else catch that?

Good Day,
Jason
·· Wood

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-09-26 17:57
    A prop spotting! Very cool..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-09-26 17:59
    Oh, great. The public's perception of gadgets with LEDs and wires hanging out is tainted enough by irrational fear as it is. Those two incidents in Boston (link, link) are testimony to that fact. Stuff like the Criminal Minds episode will only add to the hysteria.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-09-26 18:00
    That was indeed the Propeller Proto Board, a company that works with Hollywood to provide gizmos frequently uses our products to create them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • JWoodJWood Posts: 56
    edited 2008-09-26 18:02
    When new people come to my house ... the first question I get asked is if I'm building a bomb.

People fear what they do not know and don't know what they need to fear. Not much we can do about that other than educate them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-09-26 18:06
    Yes, I've been asked that question as well..

I was almost concerned when I went out with my PPDB GPS setup that I might get stopped, but
    being a *known* geek in my small town helps, as it is almost expected of me here. [noparse]:)[/noparse] <smirk>

I DO make a good inventory list of my electronics stuff when I go over the border into Canada.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• Jim FouchJim Fouch Posts: 395
    edited 2008-09-26 18:28
    try driving around with this on your bike and see the kind of looks you get....

http://www.fouchsoftware.com/seemeride/Images/7-28-2006%209-50-29%20AM_0006.JPG

There are a total of 3 SX-52 proto boards driving this camera mount. It's all controlled by a wireless PS2 controller by the wife who ran the setup while I drove the bike.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim Fouch

FOUCH SOFTWARE
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-09-26 18:38
    Hollywood can't seem to get Parallax beyond the bomb applications:

- a BS1 in the Speed2 explosive golf ball
    - XFiles Movie federal building Coca Cola machine explosion

There are many more. Dave Andreae keeps track of them.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2008-09-26 18:57
    LOL, my family aways thinks i'm up to no good.. I simply tell them it will be a portable black hole generator, and get the usual crooked look with a hint of "can he really do that"

I just looked at those two links... What the hell are people friggin thinking? Is it safe to say that the public in general are a bunch of ignorant knuckleheads? A bomb wouldn't be as obvious as a SIGN!!! rolleyes.gif I bet half of them couldn't program a VCR clock. And what were the police thinking at that airport? idea.gif If·someone were inclined to actually bomb someplace MAYBE they would be inclined to make it a bit less suspisious than a sign or wearing it on the outside of their clothes?!

I live about an hr from NYC, I'd have to say that when the Twin Towers were taken down, the terrorists did win! Maybe a big, FLASHING sign is a bit obvoius to us as the intened purpose. I think one too many people saw that bugs bunny cartoon when he was looking for the ganstas hideout and there were all these signs pointing the way.lol.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.

Post Edited (RinksCustoms) : 9/26/2008 7:19:39 PM GMT
    edited 2008-09-26 18:58
    Ken, Is this list posted for us·to re-watch all the old movies for that elusive glimpse of a parallax product being used to blow stuff up in Hollywood?

Jason
    ·· Wood

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-26 19:05
    Can you post a screen shot?
    edited 2008-09-26 19:13
    I'll have a screen shot later..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-26 20:01
    JWood said...
    Ken, Is this list posted for us to re-watch all the old movies for that elusive glimpse of a parallax product being used to blow stuff up in Hollywood?

Second that.. Sounds like fun while I'm working on Prop Projects this weekend.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-26 20:04
    When I travel with Parallax products in my carry on (typically my own demo board or something similiar), I make a point of wearing a Parallax shirt. That way if I do get pulled aside for some reason I can point to how the same name is on my shirt and the product, then ask them if they've ever known a terrorist to advertize? I haven't gotten stopped thus far, so I don't know how effective of a strategy it is. I also make a point of leaving the breadboard area clean, a nest of wires seems to freak out a certain segment of people.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-09-26 20:17
    An incomplete list from Dave:

TV series:
    John Doe
    Criminal minds
    X-files

Movies:
    Departed
    Speed 2
    A Jet Li movie (can't remember the name)

Some Disney movie he can't remember the name of, the kid has a Toddler in his room.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-09-26 20:22
    I feel a screen capture thread coming up!

How many images from TV/Movies can we get?

I'll keep my eyes and CTRL+Print Screen ready.

Jason
    ·· Wood

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-09-26 21:13
    It's too bad that society attaches this kind of bad stereo type.··Something with such a·large·dynamic capability to do·good, only to be·remembered·with·ill intentions.· Yes, we all like to see things that don't directly·affect us, get destroyed, smashed, blown up, etc. and that's the nature of the·beast (I guess) ... We get the bad rap because of·movie sensationalism.· There are likely an equal if not greater number of products that go unnoticed that make their way into the movie "special effects".... You only "see" the bad ones because they are often exposed for you to see, after all that's the point, but because·of their·end-of-life·role that they play in the movie, lend them self to be more·raw in appearance if you will.
    Unfortunately, as a form of closure or understanding, it is easy for society to relate to this movie stereo type when something bad·happens in real life.
    ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-09-26 22:12
    Why do terrorist bombs have nests of wires? Since they can't be tested, seems like a clean breadboard would be essential. Guess they aren't thinking clearly (isn't that obvious...) Anyway, a well designed product (for commercial general public use) hides how it works from the user. Toasters, cars, computers: all these things promote simplicity of use because they look simple (or at least clean). So I guess what I'm saying is: if a bomb looks complicated and exposed, people assume that it's difficult to use. So if there was a bomb in a nice little box, with a logo and everything, the scare factor would loose it's effect.

Cliff notes: bombs seem difficult to make, so it has to look it.
  • CassLanCassLan Posts: 586
    edited 2008-09-26 22:31
    Where in the Departed? Ive seen that movie a million times?
    edited 2008-09-26 22:36
    Not sure, never seen it myself and Dave·had an early day today, so he's already left for the weekend.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-09-27 01:08
    A Propeller as the brain of a bomb? That criminal must have a nice bank role (or some really heavy processing to calculate the trigger) (or is a parallax fan and just wanted to use a propeller).

Screan shot would be fun. Maybe even some marketing or ads. "The Propeller, as shown in a bomb on TV" Nahhh....that isn't a good idea. Scratch that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-09-27 01:34
    How about "Look what the Propeller can do, and you can too!"

Now I just need your credit card number.
  • mirrormirror Posts: 322
    edited 2008-09-27 02:37
    Bomb object almost ready to submit to object exchange!

It drives a standard countdown timer display so you know how long you've got until you need to get away.

Detailed instructions included for the red wire / blue wire hookup. Cutting the red wire causes instant chaos. Cutting the blue wire restores peace and tranquility. Or was it the other way around.

It still has one bug. The count always seems to stop at 0:00:01.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-09-27 02:57
    Am I the only Propeller user with a federal Low Explosives User's Permit?
    Probably not.
    edited 2008-09-27 03:24
    here you go... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

624 x 352 - 282K
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2008-09-27 03:41
    Avoid all entanglements with T-S-A employees.· None of them got hired on account of his sophisticated sense of humor or noted appreciation of the sardonic.·
    Don't attract attention to yourself, don't challenge them intellectually; there's a time and place for everything and the airport is inappropriate.

Isn't the hallmark of intelligence obviating any situation involving a T-S-A supervisor or·the cops·telling you to "get in the Search Room and strip"?
    edited 2008-09-27 04:34
    Its all in your demeanor, you approach it in a sunny and non-confrontational manner. They ask something and you immeadiately cooperate. Most times they are content with a residue test and the occasional manual search, never had an issue beyond the minimal delay.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-09-27 05:18
    The wiring harness (in OBC's photo) was a nice touch. Those prop guys (pardon the double entendre) went to a lot of trouble...

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-09-27 06:20
    Hey Guys,

by the first use of the word "b...b". I'm sure the systems of these completelty paranoid human beeings who try to keep the world a safe place
    by collecting data and suspecting everybody. This forum has reached an important status to them.

Be aware of that.

best regards

Stefan
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-09-27 07:43
    Now that everyone knows that protoboards are movie "bombs",
    how can we make them friendly enough to use in public?

I thought of this while laughing at the Boston LED panics:
    Someone should flashmob the media (especially Hollywood) with naked digital clocks for the sake of reason.

FYE:
    Is this a jumpin.gif or a hop.gif?

Post Edited (VIRAND) : 9/27/2008 7:58:54 AM GMT
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-09-27 10:36
    Yes but lets not forget the fact that a protoboard could indeed be used in such circumstances ... I read an article in a newspaper recenctly about IED's used in Iraq and it's basically anyhing goes ... So being extra cautious is not completely unfounded. Just a few short years ago here in Ireland purchase of 555's or tilt switches usually warranted closer inspection... thankfully all that nonsense if over now.

Reagrds,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Those who can, do.Those who can’t, teach.