Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
add camera? newbie — Parallax Forums

add camera? newbie

int3rnetjimint3rnetjim Posts: 4
edited 2008-09-25 19:42 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Loving my boe bot recently purchased... I'm on chapter 7 of the included book but i thought now would be a great time to step back and just do some playing.

I have one of them really cheap key chain cameras that i dismantled and soldered wires for after removing the battery and now it clips into the vdd and vss supply... it works however I am wanting to be able to program an output from my stamp to trigger the switch. If i remove the push button on the camera, could i then put out from say P6 and then out to VSS? or am i way off on making this work?

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-25 04:36
    Is it a still frame camera or video?

Couple of points to consider:

What are the voltages of the camera button line?
    Is the button push high or low?
    How much current will the BS2 have to source/sink?

For still frame camera:
    Is there a minimum duration that the button has to be pressed?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-25 04:50
    The most reliable way to do this is to use a reed relay with a 5V coil that can be driven directly from a Stamp pin.
    RadioShack has one that works (#275-232). You'll need a diode like a 1N914 or equivalent (RadioShack #276-1620)
    connected in reverse across the coil (cathode band to +5V end of relay coil, anode to the Stamp pin end of relay coil).
    Make the Stamp pin LOW to close the relay. Make the Stamp pin HIGH or an INPUT to open the relay.
  • int3rnetjimint3rnetjim Posts: 4
    edited 2008-09-25 15:07
    Wow thanks guys for the prompt reply.

My first step was to take off the button and solder in some wires for pin hook up, after i did that i just hooked it up to make sure it was still working and thought id give it a try just using it direct with a counter on a high out an she works!

Thanks for the information and prompt reply!
  • MikerocontrollerMikerocontroller Posts: 310
    edited 2008-09-25 19:29
    · You should take Mike's advice if you don't know the specifics of your camera's circuit.· What SRLM is

telling you is you need to know a few parameters before hooking-up.· You can damage the stamp if

you are not careful about current and voltage levels.· Mike's solution is the best if you aren't sure.
  • int3rnetjimint3rnetjim Posts: 4
    edited 2008-09-25 19:42
    Yeah after reading more about the relay I went to try to get one but there is no radio shack around here just the source and it doesn't have any goods other then the diodes i need and resisters LED's ect... I picked through all my junk and i don't see n e thing i I could use so im just going to order some things from radio shack.

Thanks again, really supportive forum.