Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS to LCD help — Parallax Forums

GPS to LCD help

XanderXander Posts: 23
edited 2008-09-26 06:22 in BASIC Stamp
I·have got BS2,·4x20LCD and a gps module. But i cant seem to make·the informations showed on the·gps on the·LCD.

I want the LCD to show·valid, sats and time date on the first screen after which a few seconds later it will show·the·latitude and longitude.

And finally it will show the altitude and the speed and will be loop back to the first screen and show everything again. Can someone help me pls?

This is what i tried to edit but nothing much changes..

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-25 03:50
    Hmm. Guess you didn't do your homework. Your program is pretty much the GPS demo, with no real changes. Did you have a chance to take a look at the LCD demo program? You need to use a serout statement to send data to the LCD. Debug is a special form of the serout, meant to send data to you terminal (computer). Take a look and try it.

Well, now that I look back that sounded sort of trite. Perhaps some more guidance should be good. Download or buy the "Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual" and read through it. Not just once, either. Read through it at least three times until you can quote sections (or at least paraphrase) and understand the language. Then, when you get such a program as the one above, you can tell exactly what it does. Also good (and free for download) is "What's a Microcontroller".
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2008-09-25 04:14
    It would also help to know what kind of LCD you are using.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
    edited 2008-09-25 04:26
    He did say the 4x20, so I'm assuming that it's the one that Parallax sells.
  • XanderXander Posts: 23
    edited 2008-09-26 05:47
    I tried to change the debug to serout. I was able to show the word "Longitude" and "Latitude" but no values were taken from the GPS module. I was using parallax Backlit LCD 4x20. Please help
    edited 2008-09-26 06:22
    I'm assuming that you are using this LCD

If not, then disregard the following.

Look at the documentation for the LCD:

Documentation

You'll notice that all the LCDs use the same commands (with extensions for backlight and 4x20) Read through the whole thing just to get a general understanding of the device, but printout (or bookmark) pages 8-10: these are your command reference. Then go ahead and download some of the sample code that they have listed here. This is from the Smart Sensors book, and you'll find the information in chapter one. It's written for the 2x20, but should work just fine with the 4x20.