Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
is it compatible — Parallax Forums

is it compatible

realolmanrealolman Posts: 65
edited 2008-09-25 18:37 in BASIC Stamp
I have a BS2 , and it appears I have cooked the outputs P1 through P4.· They just don't operate... although i can use the same code by changing the outputs from P1,2,3 and 4 to P 5,6,7,and 8 ,· and P 5·thru 8 operate OK.

If I replace the BS2 with a BASIC Stamp 2p 24-Pin Module, is it ·interchangable with the BS2 in every way, except that it runs faster?

WHile I am on the subject, I used some H11A optoisolators to isolate the load from the BS2 ( apparently too late) it's kind of a pain with the resistors and whatnot... is there an easier to use opto Isolator, maybe that already has series resistors .... and while I'm on that subject is there an LED that is already resistored for 5 vdc

thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-25 00:21
    The BS2p is faster than the BS2 and that's why it's not strictly a plug-in replacement for the BS2. There are various constants used in time-dependent statements that are different for the BS2p and BS2. The most commonly used ones are the Baud constants in the SERIN and SEROUT statements. For most programs, all you need to do is to recompile the program using the Stamp Editor with BS2p selected from the processor type menu rather than BS2. Most programs, particularly those from Parallax (sample programs and the like), have some conditional compilation statements at the beginning that define one of a set of constants based on the processor type. The program makes use of these constants and all of the timing stuff in the program adjusts for the processor type.

There are some LEDs that have built-in series resistors. RadioShack sells one. They're not commonly used.

If you use an SSR (solid state relay), these usually have a built-in series resistor and will operate over a wide range of input voltages.
  • servelloservello Posts: 113
    edited 2008-09-25 02:00
    Hiya,

I don't want to seem like I am hijacking this thread, but I too am having similar problems.

I mentioned in a previous post that I was waiting on the arrival on a BS2px24. It arrived today. I had been using a BS2 and the BOE. After installing the new controller, I ran 'Identify' and only the 'Loopback' and 'Echo' columns showed data (both YES). Also the correct COM Port was showing. I tried running some simple code (of course, I ensured the BS2px Directive was used) and the Stamp was not found.

Thanks, and please let me know if I broke any forum rules.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Deus tantum me iudicabit
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-25 02:42
    Did the Stamp Editor recognize the BS2px directive?
    Do you have a recent version of the Stamp Editor?
    Make sure the BS2px is powered.
    Make sure your new module is inserted properly in its socket.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-25 04:32
    Seems like the forum needs some software that recognizes common problems and replies to them (It won't download, how do I display on an LCD, what should I start with, etc.) Dell tech support has that sort of thing...

@realolman

The BS2e is a drop in for the BS2 and has some nice features that you can use later (SCRAM and program slots)

@servello

Did you try moving where the USB cable plugged into your computer? I have an external hub, and I had to move the cable to a dirrect USB port for it to work.
    edited 2008-09-25 05:03
    Hi Mike,
    Mike Green said...
    Did the Stamp Editor recognize the BS2px directive?
    Do you have a recent version of the Stamp Editor?
    Make sure the BS2px is powered.
    Make sure your new module is inserted properly in its socket.

No.

Version 2.4 - I believe this is current.

Since the BS2px is installed into the BOE, isn't it just a matter of supplying power (9v in this case) to the board?

I saw no bent pins or anything like that. And it was oriented the correct way.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Deus tantum me iudicabit
    edited 2008-09-25 05:04
    SRLM said...

@servello

Did you try moving where the USB cable plugged into your computer? I have an external hub, and I had to move the cable to a dirrect USB port for it to work.

I have 3 usb ports on my laptop. Do you mean I should try using one of the other two ports?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Deus tantum me iudicabit
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-25 15:53
    That throws my suggestion out the window. No, I have a usb hub that has four female connectors and a male connector on one device. It's meant to expand the number of USB ports available.
    edited 2008-09-25 18:37
    Thanks for trying to help out, SRLM. It's much appreciated.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Deus tantum me iudicabit