Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Tool v1.2 more insistent about missing drives — Parallax Forums

Propeller Tool v1.2 more insistent about missing drives

Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
edited 2008-10-05 18:31 in Propeller 1
Versions of the Propeller Tool before 1.2 have always complained upon startup about missing drives when, for example, it had seen a digicam memory card before that's not there subsequently. This was easy enough to dismiss, just by clicking Continue a couple times, and the minor annoyance would go away.

Version 1.2 is a different beast, though. Not only is it necessary to click Continue more times to make the modal dialog go away, but it keeps popping up again at odd intervals, even when the Propeller Tool is not in the foreground. (It just popped up again as I was typing this paragraph.)

I'm wondering what changed and whether that could be taken as a clue for how to eliminate the problem altogether.

-Phil

[noparse][[/noparse]Update by Moderator]· This problem has been resolved: please download Propeller Tool v1.2.5 for the fix.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/442/Default.aspx

Post Edited By Moderator (Jeff Martin (Parallax)) : 12/6/2008 1:20:47 AM GMT

Comments

• TimmooreTimmoore Posts: 1,031
    edited 2008-09-23 21:45
    What I have noticed is that when you plug/unplug the propplug the directory display in proptool refreshs. This suggests proptool is listening to PnP events. I would guess you are seeing the popup when a PnP event occurs from some device arriving/leaving - network, usb, etc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-09-23 22:32
    No, I'm not plugging or unplugging anything. It just seems to pop up every five minutes or so. An this is a super-modal dialog box, too, that sits on top of all apps, not just the Propeller Tool's main window. I thought just plugging in the camera card (drive F[noparse]:)[/noparse] would help, but it only starts complaining about a different drive (\Device\Harddisk1\DR6), which I take to be drive E: (another slot in my multicard reader).

So, it occurred to me that I could simply delete drive E: from the list of drives in the left panel:

attachment.php?attachmentid=55972

(And why are they duplicated?)

But it won't let me delete drive E: without having something in drive E:. Go figure.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
    250 x 184 - 3K
  • Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
    edited 2008-09-23 22:55
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=742069

This fix (or hack) by obc worked for me.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-09-23 23:43
    Erik,

Thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten about OBC's post but recall now, when I first saw it, thinking my problem wasn't severe enough to be messin' with the registery. But having gone from Irritation Level Yellow (annoyance) to Level Orange (nuisance), OBC's fix was definitely called for. And it worked! Thanks, OBC!

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • port513port513 Posts: 50
    edited 2008-09-24 06:39
    I always get this message even if there is a disc in my DVD, pretty weird...

But it's not as weird as my Vista losing its view settings for a folder [noparse];)[/noparse]
    Last night I got the biggest icons I have ever seen on my Vista [noparse];)[/noparse]

Why doesn't Propeller Tool drop the drive when I tell it to ignore the error? Other software drop the error after I have clicked ignore.

/Henrik
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2008-10-05 04:03
    ppffffffff.... Vista.... rolleyes.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-10-05 18:31
    Yeah that issue is a pain.. Just threw the error at Google one day and found that reghack.
    Perhaps I should post that on Wiki so it doesn't get lost.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS