Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where should I start to learn about basic servo control. — Parallax Forums

Where should I start to learn about basic servo control.

neuromitneuromit Posts: 7
edited 2011-03-28 16:30 in BASIC Stamp
I'm trying to design a system as follows:

4-8 servos connected to my basic stamp system, when I press a button on my computer 1 of two things happens (which happens is random)

Either
servos 1-4 turn clockwise
servos 5-8 turn counterclockwise

or
servos 5-8 turn clockwise
servos 1-4 turn counterclockwise

I'm not looking for someone to write this code for me, (although that wouldn't be bad). I'm more looking to find documentation on where to start. I just downloaded the .ISO and I'm a little overwhelmed with the amount of documentation on the CD.

Any guidance on how to start would be greatly appreciated!

Post Edited (neuromit) : 9/25/2008 2:38:53 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-23 22:27
    First learn how to control servos. Download the Robotics with the BoeBot tutorial from Parallax. Most of these tutorials are found by going to the main Parallax website, clicking on the Resources tab, then the Downloads item, then the Stamps in Class Downloads item. The BoeBot has two wheel servos which are controlled at the same time (roughly). You're basically expanding this to 8 servos in two groups.

Look at the description of the RANDOM statement in the Stamp Basic Manual. You can find this in the Software Documentation area under Resources / Downloads

Look at the description of the DEBUG and DEBUGIN statements for communicating with your PC.

Have a look at this information, think about it, and come back with questions.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-09-24 15:48
    Hello,

A descriptive subject line improves feedback on posts in most cases. I would recommend editing your message using the pencil icon at the top right of the message and using a more descriptive subject to help other forums members help you.

As for “Robotics with the BOE Bot”, that will help (as Mike suggested) if you have continuous rotation servos. It is not clear from your message if you do. If you have standard servos the, “What’s a Microcontroller?” manual might be a better choice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • neuromitneuromit Posts: 7
    edited 2008-09-25 14:37
    Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely check out those out!

Does anybody have any experience using basic stamp in linux?

Post Edited (neuromit) : 9/25/2008 2:48:04 PM GMT
  • John KauffmanJohn Kauffman Posts: 653
    edited 2011-03-28 16:30
    Learn how to control one servo with WAM chapter 4.

Then learn how to control a continuous rotation servo in Robotics With The Boe-Bot chapter 2. (When you do teh activity to calibrate your servos please send the data to me at www.BoeBotTeacher.com to add to my data base).

After that you can get some pointers and visuals from my servos cheat sheet, attached.

Then, since you want to control 4-8 servos, my advice is to buy one of the servo controllers out there. This one was good: Item code 28023 but now replaced. I think the new one works with BS2, but I have not tried. It is unlikely you will be able to directly control 4-8 servos with the BS2 and still have processing time left for your project.