Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 as a video game controller — Parallax Forums

BS2 as a video game controller

pw0nzdpw0nzd Posts: 2
edited 2008-09-23 19:08 in BASIC Stamp
Hey,
I was wondering if there was any way to set up a BS2 micro controller so that my computer will recognize it as a video game controller. I have it connected to my computer through a USB cable and am running windows xp.

Comments

• GaudwareGaudware Posts: 18
    edited 2008-09-23 18:35
    I not really certain how to do so, but I know for any hardware to work as a game controller their needs to be some kind of driver allowing the computer to interpret what commands are actually being sent to it. Sorry I could not help you out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Diamonddredges.com
    Gaudware.net84.net
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-23 18:56
    I don't believe there's any simple way to do what you want. All USB devices identify themselves to the PC so that the proper driver can be given control to manage communications with the device. The BS2's board (or USB to serial adapter) identifies itself to the PC as a particular kind of USB to serial adapter and there's a specific driver that knows how to talk to it.

Theoretically, there are ways to reprogram a USB to serial adapter to work differently and to make the adapter identify itself as something else, but that requires detailed knowledge of the particular USB to serial adapter that Parallax uses and familiarity with the ins and outs of USB at a very low level, not to mention detailed knowledge of the particular video game controller you'd want to replace. This is one of those "If you have to ask, you wouldn't be able to do it" things.
  • pw0nzdpw0nzd Posts: 2
    edited 2008-09-23 19:08
    Ok... next idea

Is there any way to use a separate program to re-map my keys:

Example:
    IF (IN0 = 1) THEN
    sendKey("W")
    ENDIF

Or even just set it up so I can let other programs detect and read from it.