Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
List File format for comment — Parallax Forums

List File format for comment

BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
edited 2008-09-22 06:26 in Propeller 1
G'day all,

Cluso99 was talking about list files with address absolute rather than Object based, so before I go much further I thought I'd put this up for comment.
It still has the odd bug relative to display of PBASE absolute address variables, and no disassembly of the DAT sections yet (but they are coming).

It's a full compilation of FemtoBasic, so it's not small.

Comments are most welcome.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Pull my finger!

Comments

• mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2008-09-20 15:29
    Nice!!

I don't know if I'm envious or inspired.

/should be inspired
    //mostly envious
    ///shakes tiny fist at Brad
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-09-20 17:14
    Bravo !!!·roll.gif

As long as I/we can get to the absolute hub address (and pasm cog address) near the left side and the extra lines can be easily distinguished, then this is ideal to link to the debugger. This will allow dynamic display of the executing code.

I've figured that I can use the hub base address of pasm to determine the code from the listing, but obviously it will not work for overlays. Haven't thought about the LMM models.

If either of you want, you are welcome to the disassembler pieces of my pasm debugger. It is not complete (displays 'and' instead of 'test', etc) but it is in spin and using a lot of case statements. Not very efficient but it works. (see PASM and Spin Debugger with zero footprint posting today) cool.gif
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-09-21 02:16
    Excellent stuff. One minor typo / transcription error to fix ...

259 rowClr := c <# rows-1
    :
    Addr : 6DFF: E5 : Math Op <|
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2008-09-21 06:18
    hippy said...
    Excellent stuff. One minor typo / transcription error to fix ...

259 rowClr := c <# rows-1
    :
    Addr : 6DFF: E5 : Math Op <|

Top notch! that was an error in my disassembler symbol list I'd never noticed. Thanks [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-09-21 06:36
    It is great, what happens when mixed assembler and spin bytecode are mixed ?
    edited 2008-09-21 06:53
    Ale said...
    It is great, what happens when mixed assembler and spin bytecode are mixed ?

Mixed assembler and spin bytecode? Not quite sure I understand.

I've not got around to implementing the assembler list output yet (busy with the ide).

The Assembler listing is a whole lot easier to get right than the spin list though..

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
    edited 2008-09-21 08:19
    I mean.. listing the DAT sections.

So are you going for an IDE ?, would be great then to integrate GEAR (it is also in C#) into it for fast testing of code.
    edited 2008-09-21 10:02
    Ale said...
    I mean.. listing the DAT sections.

So are you going for an IDE ?,

Yes, with the compiler built in.. basically a bit of a knockoff of proptool, but for linux/bsd/mac/windows98 also..
    Just a bit of fun to keep me amused. (Actually, I want to have the features of proptool and not have to boot a VM with Windows to do it)
    Ale said...
    would be great then to integrate GEAR (it is also in C#) into it for fast testing of code.

Yeah, except gear is in C#.. and I'm not using .Net or Java, it's all native ObjectPascal.

I can't see why scripted plugins of some sort can't be called as a sub-process though.. Just like I'm looking at providing pre-processor hooks..

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
  • OwenSOwenS Posts: 173
    edited 2008-09-21 10:32
    BradC,

would it be possible for your Spin compiler to interoperate with PASM and PLink somehow? Perhaps you could implement POFF output (preferable!) or at least linking of it into Spin code?

The current POFF format is at tdn.teknetium.com/project/proptools/browser/trunk/poff/poff.h, but I'm planning on enhancing it; in particular, adding better debugging support and adding more power to relocations (For example, the ability to do A * 2 + B)
    edited 2008-09-21 12:39
    OwenS said...
    BradC,

would it be possible for your Spin compiler to interoperate with PASM and PLink somehow? Perhaps you could implement POFF output (preferable!) or at least linking of it into Spin code?

The current POFF format is at tdn.teknetium.com/project/proptools/browser/trunk/poff/poff.h, but I'm planning on enhancing it; in particular, adding better debugging support and adding more power to relocations (For example, the ability to do A * 2 + B)

I'm positive that some form of interoperation is possible.

I'm not sure how POFF fits into the picture as currently my output is bit for bit identical to the Parallax .binary and .eeprom formats. Relocating SPIN is not terribly difficult provided you fix up the object table correctly. I've had a brief look at that link, but I'm obviously too hung over to see what I could bring to the table with that.

Ideally I'd like to see the IDE support VMM and LMM development natively, which would mean incorporating some aspects of VMM/LMM assembler into my current compiler.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
    edited 2008-09-21 18:26
    BradC said...
    Relocating SPIN is not terribly difficult provided you fix up the object table correctly. I've had a brief look at that link, but I'm obviously too hung over to see what I could bring to the table with that.
    Once I update POFF with support for complex relocations that should all be possible. I don't know enough of Spin's object layout to be able to say if it would be possible to link with other languages.
    BradC said...
    Ideally I'd like to see the IDE support VMM and LMM development natively, which would mean incorporating some aspects of VMM/LMM assembler into my current compiler.
    One thought I had was that, somehow, you could add external symbol support to Spin? As for intergrating with the IDE, could you not just call PASM?
    edited 2008-09-21 18:47
    OwenS said...

One thought I had was that, somehow, you could add external symbol support to Spin? As for intergrating with the IDE, could you not just call PASM?

I can't see any major issues with external symbol support.. just have to have a good think about how to integrate it in.

I don't have a problem calling external software, provided the author supports it across several platforms (at a minimum, linux 386/x86_64, MacOS PPC and Intel and Windows 98+). So it must be endian clean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
    edited 2008-09-21 19:03
    ObjectPascal ? I thought you used C# as it requires mono... well more surprises. Should I abandon pPropellerSim then ?
    edited 2008-09-21 19:17
    Ale said...
    ObjectPascal ? I thought you used C# as it requires mono... well more surprises. Should I abandon pPropellerSim then ?

Nope, it's mpark who has the compiler in C#.

I'd not abandon anything, more tools are better than less [noparse]:)[/noparse] (Unless you don't really want to work on it anymore).

I write most of my PC based stuff in ObjectPascal as I've been using it for years and it lets me be compact and cross platform.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!
    edited 2008-09-21 21:48
    BradC said...
    I don't have a problem calling external software, provided the author supports it across several platforms (at a minimum, linux 386/x86_64, MacOS PPC and Intel and Windows 98+). So it must be endian clean.

The beginnings of endian support are there, I just need to add it everywhere. As for OS X support, it should work on OS X (x86 only at the moment), but I don't have access to an OS X box to test it. Anyone with C++ and OS X experience is of course free to become the OS X maintainer if they wish.
    edited 2008-09-22 05:17
    My bad.. I just mixed the threads... are you going to implement a simulator ?
    edited 2008-09-22 06:26
    Ale said...
    My bad.. I just mixed the threads... are you going to implement a simulator ?

Don't know.. kinda busy enough with the cross platform compiler/loader and Unicode compatible IDE at the moment [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I guess if I ever develop a need for a simulator I might look at it. I've got Gear and I think I've used it once.. so it's not high on my list right now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Pull my finger!