Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to wipe the BS2 rev J EEPROM clean — Parallax Forums

How to wipe the BS2 rev J EEPROM clean

eagleeagle Posts: 6
edited 2010-10-16 11:16 in BASIC Stamp
Is there a utility program that can be use to wipe the EEPROM clean. I cannot get a clean new program on to the chip.

Thanks

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-09-16 00:50
    Not sure what your problem could be. The stamp editor should clear off enough space to download the program. If this isn't happening wiping the chip probably won't help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-16 01:22
    The EEPROM does not need to be cleared. Older types of programmable ROMs needed to be cleared, either with ultraviolet light or, later, with special erase modes. Current types of EEPROM do not need clearing. There are other types of flash memory that provide block erasing and larger (multi-block) units for erasure. This is primarily to save time and power.

The Stamp Editor will always put a "clean" copy of your program in the Stamp's EEPROM or will report an error. If you're having problems, it may be something with the serial connection. There's a USB to serial adapter troubleshooting document with a link on Parallax's main webpage on the bottom. Have a look at that.

If that doesn't take care of the problem, come back, describe what's happening in more detail, and include a copy of your program as an attachment to your message.
  • ctdahlectdahle Posts: 29
    edited 2010-10-16 07:04
    I found this thread via search and I wonder if Eagle's question was really the same as mine. As I am wiring up different circuits and testing them, I realize that the BS2 BOE is always going to run the last program that I uploaded to it.

I am somewhat concerned that when I wire a new circuit and then power up the board to upload a new program, the old program will send outputs through the new circuits in ways that might damage the circuit or the BS2.

I'm too much of a novice to know if this is really a problem, but as a safety measure, I wrote a little program to clear out the old programming and leave the BS2 at a low state while it waits for me to upload the new program
    ' AAClear.bs2

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

STOP
    END

I know that this doesn't really "wipe" the memory clean, but it shuts down all pins so there is no worry of stray currents being directed into wrong places.

Probably I'm just being Peter Paranoid, but because I have a remarkable ability to break electronic things I feel like it's a reasonable precaution.
  • CampeckCampeck Posts: 111
    edited 2010-10-16 11:05
    I do the same thing but to make SURE I use

DIRS = %000000000000000
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-10-16 11:16
    The Stamp is initialized with all I/O pins set to inputs (high impedance), so all you need is an END statement and the "$STAMP" directive.