Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need some input for my book - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Need some input for my book

2»

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-22 22:07
    As an unemployed student, let me say that I'm not shy about spending what I need to learn. I'd rather spend an extra $50 to get something that works wells, without a bunch of little trip-ups that are application specific. For example, it might be possible to build a Ping for $10 from special components. But this device would be far more demanding to understand than just buying the Ping. I guess my commment is that I like projects that don't skimp on the price just for the sake of price.
  • kevin101kevin101 Posts: 55
    edited 2008-09-23 00:33
    If it's in the budget, I would reccomend including a CD with the book that includes all the software and code with full comments.
    This would probablly make it easier for the reader, as they would not need to hunt down software on the internet. It would also save time
    by the user not having to copy code from the book.

I'll look forward to seeing your book.

Kevin
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-09-23 00:45
    As a counter point, I really like the first comment style!

It's very handy to associate each instruction with some element of the program flow. Readability is a major factor and the block of text shown in the second comment really is more difficult to parse comment from code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-09-23 00:49
    I prefer both styles simultanously, comments on thier own line are block comments (blocks which don't have a comment have a blank line seperating the blocks) and comments on the right hand side explain that particular line. That way you get the big and small picture simultanously. You're never going to get the complaint that there are too many comments.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 9/23/2008 1:03:05 AM GMT
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2008-09-23 01:17
    I would have to agree with Paul, I like both styles of comments, done in unison, even though it might be TOO verbose.

I often, force myself to, comment each line of code that I write, to check to see if "I'm smoking CRACK". If my comments don't match what the line of code is doing, then that immediately points out an area that I'm not familiar with, and then it's up to ME to go back and review and or edit what I think I have written.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • DufferDuffer Posts: 374
    edited 2008-09-23 01:44
    I would also like to chime in on the side of verbose and line by line comments. When Ken wrote "make the code read itself", my first thought about his meaning was a request to use more meaningful variable names. When learning a new language, new syntax and new code, NOTHING slows you down faster than having to try to remember what a bunch of cryptic variables really are.

Also, in a learning environment, sometimes it's most beneficial to the student to see the simplest form/structure for accomplishing a task,·rather than·the most elegant or efficient.

Duffer
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-09-23 01:59
    Also, if the increasing complexity model is used and code sections are reused, then I prefer block comments over line by line for those reused sections. It helps draw the reader's attention to the new material and cues them they can visually skip those portions of code which were explained at an earlier point.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-09-23 03:02
    I second (or is it third) all Paul's comments smile.gif

Maybe a small section on how to hardware to the Propeller Proto Board to use the code for the PPDB described in your book. Not a how to solder, just the parts and schematic for the different blocks. This would allow someone who already has the PPB to use your book. Hence wider audience and perhaps a cheaper start for some.

Code on CDROM: No - just place it on the internet in one place. Then you can update any errors, expand on a theme, or whatever. The internet is so accessable for all these days, particularly your audience.
  • liljoentxliljoentx Posts: 25
    edited 2008-09-26 17:38
    Oldbitcollector said...
    ...mandatory items for any PPDB experimenter.
    One of which is the 4-line serial LCD module. OBC

Is that Part No. 27979?

Lil'Joe
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-09-26 17:41
    www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/txtSearch/27979/List/1/ProductID/51/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

Yes...

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
    edited 2008-09-26 19:15
    Personally, I never use the sample code files for any of my learning. If I want to get and understand something, then I retype the whole thing so that I get it in my fingers. I suppose a website would work, but I think CDs are unneccessary (unless they have a compiler or text editor on them).
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2008-09-26 19:29
    Hey OBC,

You're bound to get some more book customers from the "Slightly Blemished" PPDB special going on right now. Wish I had seen your recommendation for the 4-line serial LCD module before I ordered. Oh well, I'm sure I will be ordering something else soon.

Hope the book is going well!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • bdickensbdickens Posts: 110
    edited 2008-09-27 14:27
    It might be worthwhile to have a set of "project boxes" like the prop education kit but maybe one per chapter. My son is still tinkering with that one and in fact canabalized some other kits for parts. Only about 1/2 his projects work, but I learn a lot watching them flop <grin>
    edited 2008-09-28 15:28
    I'd taken the week off working on the book to allow both comments which have been made
    in this thread as well as my own thoughts to jell regarding the three texts I'm working toward.

I haven't been able to shake the idea that no matter which Propeller platform I write about,
    some other great prop-platform, or some great project gets left behind. So I've decided that
    as much as possible the three texts will be merged into a single book, with projects which
    cover many propeller platforms. I've also decided that each project will have a materials list, much
    like that in the original Cookbook. The formula for the Cookbook, while sparse works well,
    and after this week of thought, I can see no reason to move away from it.

I've got access to seven different propeller boards, both in my collection and a couple I can
    get my hands on locally. If I do this right, I'll whet your appetite for the entire variety
    of Propeller configurations which can be had readily, no matter which configuration is on your desk.

I'm still in the actual project development phase of this book, just getting ready to start
    into stage two, the documentation of each project. Of course this changes the working
    title of this book to something along the lines of "Jeff's Big Book of Propeller" -- I'll work
    on that a little more toward the end. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Limiting the sources also seems like a bad idea. While it may be problematic due to
    stock changes, I don't want to skip a great project due to the fact that my favorite
    three vendors don't carry the parts. Since the book will likely be "published-on-demand"
    I think I can adjust the information as required. Of course I'm not bashful about asking
    for more stock items from favored vendors. <smirk>

Yes, I like the idea of a downloadable CD image. I had planned to distribute software
    with this, and that will solve the problem nicely. Due to license of the software, the
    CD collection will be free to all regardless if you purchase the text.

All this being said, perhaps I will run a contest for a good title later with a free copy
    of the book sent to the selection.

I've got to go back to my word processor.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• Bob DruryBob Drury Posts: 236
    edited 2008-09-28 20:44
    Hello on the other side

The Propeller Manual and Hydra manual are well written and useful but are missing some simple description on

how the Hub and spin interpeter works with main memory.· How the byte code the spin interperter reads

and executes while using stack info for me would be worth the $50. for a book. Having to buy some

hardware to use with the manual would not be a drawback. I would prefer this because this is just a

hobby for fun and I don't want to make it·a chore. You might want to consider making this a sectioned book

that can be added too similar to how WestingHouse would use three ring binders and updating sections

as opposed to hard bound book. This would also allow you to expand or contract a section as things

progress. The only section which would constantly require updating would be the table of contents.

The Hardware and relevent sections of the "Propeller Encyclopedia" could be shipped with the Hardware

components.
    edited 2008-09-28 21:11
    Personally, a hardbound book would be best. I think the goal should be techniques, operations and the like that focus on how the Propeller works, and is supported by examples and hardware. So if the hardware goes out of style, then the <i>ideas</i> are still there for you to use. So if designed on this principle, the book doesn't need to be updated every week, and so can be in a nicer format. Also, I think the board is fairly irrelevant: they all have Propllers, and you can add whatever components that you need. So perhaps, just rotate between the different platforms on each example, and users of an alternative platform can easily figure out how to set up based on the circuit diagram. What I think should be avoided is every example having seven different board diagrams for each project.

As a note, some appendices would be nice. Possible subjects are Spin command shortlist (name, and one line description); video and audio generation; Propeller,electronic and robotic supply; PBASIC to Spin Primmer; Prop based projects; etc.
  • MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-09-29 02:14
    I am getting excited about your book. Go ahead and do it. Then we can be happy to have VolumeII. That ALWAYS comes after Volume I.
  • MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-09-29 02:16
    OH, I forgot.

You could make a "Dream Machine" device so people could have Lucid Dreams. It is easy to make. You can find them on the MakeMagazine sight. The glasses are easy to make. I have built two sets so far. It is basically blinking LEDs with binarial beats.

Good Luck, my friend!

smile.gif
    edited 2008-09-29 02:26
    I've looked at those glasses more than once.. I keep asking myself do they really work?
    Go ahead.. Hijack the thread a little and share.

Yes, they do look like a fun Propeller project.. Just not sure what the spouse will say. <SMIRK> [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,999
    edited 2008-09-29 06:07
    I think you should call the book "Spinning the Propeller"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out the Propeller Wiki·and contribute if you can.
  • sailman58sailman58 Posts: 162
    edited 2008-09-29 21:08
    OBC,

If you will be producing a hard copy book, why not make it spiral bound so it will lie flat on a desk or workbench?

Ron
    edited 2008-09-29 21:54
    A covered spriral would work. Something where the spiral is the same width as the paper, and the cover wraps around the back to the other side so that the binding doesn't get caught in things.
    edited 2008-09-30 13:59
    *If* the book goes the lulu press route you will be able to purchase it in several physical forms depending
    on how much money you want to spend for the binding, etc. Since they offer the services, I can't see any
    reason why to limit the binding to a single choice. There's some discussion in the works about some
    larger publishing options, so I can't promise, but thats what is in the works right now.

I'm working my way through section 1 right now, geared toward novice users.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-30 16:05
    I like the multi form publishing option...