Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Emic — Parallax Forums

Emic

TritonTriton Posts: 9
edited 2008-09-16 07:34 in BASIC Stamp
Good day

On the emic there is a "Aout". Can I use this to and a ground to go to a Hifi or PC line-in?

What I'll like to do is have "My stamp" connect to "Emic" to "Velleman MK171 voice changer kit" to a "7W mono amp" for voice on the robot.

any ideas anyone.

I think I can remove the preamp from the Velleman kit for direct Audio input to the chip on the velleman kit. Possible????

thanks

Comments

• denodeno Posts: 242
    edited 2008-09-15 13:06
    I have used the EMIC since it first came out by Grand Idea Studios, and find it to have a good robot voice...(female) as is.· I use the 'A out' and go into a simple LM386 amp to drive a small speaker.· I can get enought volume for the 'talking to be heard', and enough to transmit via RF back to the base station.· I have this tied into the commands, so when I execute a command from the base station, "Robo Child" will repeat the received command back to me via RF.· I also use a Emic device on my trawler (boat) to tell me of various 'happenings', such as bilge pumps active, high water, overheat, and such.· It is a good, easy to use device, and depending on how much room you have in the memory of the stamp, (I prefer the BS2sx), you can teach it alot of things to say...depending on how many sensors you have on your robot for the EMIC to respond to.

Deno

Post Edited (deno) : 9/15/2008 1:57:38 PM GMT
    512 x 769 - 136K
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2008-09-15 14:32
    If you want to use Aout to drive another amp, or feed into another pre-amp/line-level audio device, or hack into your voice-changer (this may sound less than ideal, between the lo-rez robotic sound of the Emic already then voice changed?), it's really a matter of making sure that impedence is OK. The Emic docs have specs on required impedence and coupling for both Ain and Aout, as well·as the pp volts (if memory serves it's around 1v but I don't have the docs in front of me)·-- you will just need to make sure that whatever you hook up to Aout is within spec.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
  • TritonTriton Posts: 9
    edited 2008-09-15 16:50
    Thanks for the reply

Can I use the "Aout" with a "Gnd" to a lm386 amp.

The emic voice is not robotic enough, That the reason to change it a bit. just having fun. turn.gif
    600 x 365 - 67K
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2008-09-15 17:02
    You'll have to have a common ground between circuits, but yes. The portion here for conditioning from a micro pin to Ain is optional (that's if you want to feed FREQOUT or similar frequency generation to the same amp hooked up to the emic. Note that you can not use Ain -> Aout at the same time you are speaking text -- see Emic documentation). This schematic does not include maximum gain on the LM386 (cap/resistor betweeen 1 and 8), but it's plenty loud with a 3" 8ohm 1w speaker and running from 9volts. In my final I had to put a few extra bypass caps between Vin and Gnd to cut noise from bleeding in from my motors, but that's a matter of how wiring is routed, power sources, etc, and may not be an issue for you. Shielded cable (speaker wire) on a long run is not a bad idea; certainly a decent speaker *enclosure* will greatly enhance and amplify the sound.

Example schematic: attachment.php?attachmentid=49256

See this thread for more info: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=632642

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php

Post Edited (Zoot) : 9/15/2008 5:09:56 PM GMT
  • TritonTriton Posts: 9
    edited 2008-09-16 07:34
    Great

I think I get the idea.
    I'll give it a try.

Later