Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
giga fet — Parallax Forums

giga fet

science_geekscience_geek Posts: 247
edited 2008-09-26 23:21 in Propeller 1
i need a fet or several that can handle 400 to 500 amps that can be switched with the propellor, do any of you guys know of anything that will do. could i run a bunch of small ones in parallel and have them all switch at once, any info is helpful

Comments

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-09-15 03:04
    Good question... pushes the theory to the limit... I absolutely am not the person to listen to about this, but I don't see any problem with running them in parallel ... just make sure you use a common ground and have plenty of Props available.

You might want to leave the lab and push the button over the internet.

You haven't mentioned how many times per second you want to do this and I don't understand why you don't just use relays, but
    please proceed and get it on video!!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with blowing things up as long as you get it on video... and no-one gets hurt

Rich

I hooked up a piddly little FET wrong and nothing happened except that I melted the plastic on my jumper and zapped my Prop in a way that hasn't yet been described in this forum[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-15 03:10
    They exist, but they can't be driven directly by a Propeller. By the way, do you have any idea how to design high power switching circuits? There's quite an art to it. Because of their overall surface area (to handle the current involved), they require very sophisticated drivers to charge the high gate capacitance involved. You can put FETs in parallel to increase the amount of current switched and they'll share the load. You're also paralleling the gate capacitance and, like I said, that has to be charged up quickly.

Other issues: When you switch that amount of current quickly, you create huge magnetic fields that can induce currents all over the place, frequently back in the control circuitry that's very sensitive to small voltages and currents ... again part of the art involved ... trying to avoid trashing the rest of the system.
    edited 2008-09-15 03:15
    Here's a nice 220A power FET: www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/8220/ste250ns10.pdf.

Only 31nF gate capacitance. $54 from DigiKey.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 9/15/2008 3:22:12 AM GMT
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-09-15 03:18
    Spice won't cut it[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-09-15 03:32
    Here's an example of the type of driver needed: datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX15024-MAX15025.pdf

You'd probably need one for each of the 220A power FETs. Again, I don't have the experience to suggest how to make sure the timing would work out so they'd all switch quickly enough. You really want them to turn on and off quickly to minimize the power dissipation.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-09-15 03:33
    To anyone contemplating offering advice in this thread, beware: This is not a topic for purveyors of idle speculation, off-hand commentary, or half-baked ideas. What science_geek proposes is DANGEROUS! I'm not a legal expert, and I decry the litigious atmosphere that leads me to say this, but it's not a stretch to believe that proffering advice whose application (or even misapplication) could result in injury — or worse — may carry some tort liability.

Frankly, I wouldn't touch this topic with a ten-foot pole.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
    edited 2008-09-15 03:59
    Phil,
    Thanks. Well said. I was trying to illustrate with real world examples, that this sort of thing is complex, expensive, with many hidden pitfalls and, absolutely, extremely dangerous. I have no idea what sort of power source he may be thinking about. Currents on this order of magnitude are commonly found in large arc welders, larger home power distribution panels, not to mention commercial and industrial power distribution systems. The lower voltage systems can produce spattering molten metal, dangerous amounts of localized heat. The arc heat can cause blindness without appropriate protective gear. Higher voltages can kill instantly. We're talking large amounts of energy here.
  • waltcwaltc Posts: 158
    edited 2008-09-15 04:22
    Stay away from it, don't touch it or even think about it, because you have no idea whats involved. Its not a area for hobbyists period.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-09-15 04:30
    science_geek,

Phil is absolutely correct.

I'm guessing here that you are looking into a do-it-yourself EV (Electric Vehicle) options.... If that is the route that you are going, then there are several controllers out there designed to do what you want. Still dealing with that much current can kill you if you don't know what you are doing. Even if you do know what you are doing, a slight mishap (working late hours, etc.) can be lethal to yourself or someone else. If you are dealing with an EV controller, I haven't even mentioned the voltage levels.... typically 144 Volts @ 500 Amps.... You've got 72,000 Watts to deal with when something goes wrong !!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2008-09-15 05:18
    Based on what science_geek has stated in his previous posts, I'm guessing he wants this FET to build his "Gauss Gun". I've already warned him that he'll shoot his eye out. But switching this kind of current, looks to me like he'll fry off his fingers or roast his corneas before he even gets that far. The problem with experimenting with stuff like this: "learning the hard way" means you die. Or go through life with hideous scars.

skull.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    It might be the Information Age but the Eon of Ignorance has yet to end.
    edited 2008-09-15 06:46
    I used to be a industrial electrician at a cement plant who worked on the powerful AC and DC motors and their starters(from 480v to 4160) the 2360v ones had fuses almost the size of a man's calf. Stuff that powers a rotary kiln 600+ feet long or roller mills.

Even at 480v its nasty, it will vaporize your tools and you can imagine what it would do to a human.

It was plain *** dangerous to work on hot starters and required complete concentration because you do not mess around because you either die or get horribly maimed should you make a mistake.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,545
    edited 2008-09-15 08:40
    2360 volts! That *is* scary. Brushed DC or induction? What equipment constituted a starter in one of those?
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-09-15 08:44
    High power is a science of itself. Listen to the advice given. Get yourself properly trained if you are not, and try afterward. Working with high voltage or current is not lone work, you need with proper tools and proper training. Btw, intense magnetic fields are not particularly healthy btw.

Did you see the cables that are used in cars to power the starter motor ?, well you will need thicker ones, and with better insulation, that kind of stuff... 35um copper does not cut it.

Be careful, train yourself. It is possible there are courses at the university that you can take. Electricity is treacherous because you do not see it.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2008-09-15 13:05
    All,

Ken Whitten is a personal friend of mine, and I encourage you to read his story at the link below.

http://www.scottsabolich.com/KenWhitten.html

What the article does not say is that the 7,620 Volts was only carrying 2 Amps of current.

Please be extremely careful and think about what you are doing.·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 9/15/2008 2:38:33 PM GMT
    edited 2008-09-15 13:22
    You'll note that science geek hasn't said a word. I suspect he was just trolling.
  • OwenSOwenS Posts: 173
    edited 2008-09-15 16:10
    500 amps in a coil gun? Are you mad?! Either you won't have sufficiently big coils to produce a good magnetic field, or you will and they will melt.

But, with a coil gun, your biggest danger isn't the projectile travelling through the coils. It's the capacitors, and to a lesser extent, the switchers and coils.

Coil gun capacitors are known to explode, particularly those which are in undamped guns. If you do damp them, the damping diodes are liable to explode. The switches are also known to die - sometimes explosively. The coils also get hot - and often exert enough pressure on themselves to crush the barrell.

If you really were serious about making a coil gun, you would know that FETs are less than ideal in the first place, and you would also know that what you want is not lots of amps.

And even when you do finish it, the results will be completely underwhelming (I should know - I built one, which was pretty much useless. And the whole time I kept the capacitors in a steel box with large resistors to bleed them, and a voltmeter to tell me when they'd discharged. One thing you learn is that coil gun caps don't fully discharge - you can watch the voltage going back up afterwards)
  • TeslaTesla Posts: 55
    edited 2008-09-17 20:15
    I have an ultracap that will source 600amps and it is not something to play with. If you ever had 600amps going thru something it is a whole diffrent world of electronics. I could heat up a copper bar.

I have had a 3phase 200amp service panel blow up in my face(i was wearing saftyglasses thank god)..... I could not see for 10secs.....and that was just 200amps 240v
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-09-17 22:22
    Beau: 7620V at 2 amps is over 15,000 watts. That's still a lot of power.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.· My wish has come true.· I no longer know how to use my telephone."

- Bjarne Stroustrup
  • science_geekscience_geek Posts: 247
    edited 2008-09-18 01:24
    first off i must say that i havent responded because i have been busy, juggling college classes after high school gets out, and other projects that... trust me.. are safe,

second, i need the fet to handle 24v i probably wont even be able to get much more than 100 amps and with the way i decided on my design shouldnt need any more than 50, and its to control a motor yes for a go kart, and i know its dangerous, but i do have help, i·have ideas on·how to handle switching but i dont get speed control with my ideas, i just need speed control which is why i was looking at gigafets

and last, its not for my gaussian rifle, and obviously some people seem to think im just another stupid teenager, my gaussian rifle used a lot more than·500 amps, try closer to 3000 amps at 330 volts, i have a 1ft by 1ft 1/4in steel box built around just a "couple" flash camera capacitors, my coil has brass tubing running through it(which i know decreases efficiency) to cool it to about 40 degrees before firing so that the coil doesnt melt, the bullet im using is way to small so it slows from the coil still being on when the bullet goes all the way through, i dont use a heavier bullet because i dont NEED to know just how far or fast it can shoot so long as it works, to switch it i use a home made knife switch which is 1/2 in thick copper bar slamming down on a copper plate via a pnuematic ram, when i use it for demonstrations i just use a 400 amp relay and im only using 300 amps only 15 caps in parallel, no cooled coil and a very small bullet.
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2008-09-18 01:33
    I agree with Beau. your delving into Electric Car teritory. The kind of amperage your talking about involves the same controllers that are on a motorcycle called the Kilacycle, there was a car version, but i can't remember the name.

From what i can tell from R&D,·there's a fundamental problem with paralleling FET's, it's not really the turn on times and syncronization but having that many matching FET's, the caracteristics have to be within 1% of one another or you'll end up with a fancy and expensive smoke show when the FET's die domino style because there was one weaker one or a couple turned on a few mS faster than the rest in the bunch.

There are schematics on discover circuits for a 10KW amplifier but i would recomend ALOT of caution if considering something that dangerous.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.

Post Edited (RinksCustoms) : 9/26/2008 3:49:23 PM GMT
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-18 01:51
    So you put your gun in a steel box. All good and well, but what are you going to do for the cart? Put a steel box around that too? Why not just go with a safe gasoline motor that could do the same thing? You could probably copy most of the control features of the QuadRover if you need electronic control.
  • science_geekscience_geek Posts: 247
    edited 2008-09-18 02:07
    steel box...sort of, i have the batteries set about 1 foot away from the driver, the side of the batteries that faces the driver would have a 1/8 in "firewall", the back and top would be a lighter gauge steel sheet, the· bottom and back ·would be expanded steel, if it exploded it would shoot the "shrapnell" down and back, the controller woudl be in the battery box for the same reason, thats why i wanted to use a fet and a prop so it would be contained and only controlled from a ways away, and a gasoline motor is hardly safe, several explosions (if you tell me there not explosions than substitute explosion for deflagaration) several feet away and only a few times a second is only like hanging on to a pack of firecrackers, not to mention the gases it emits that usually kill at least one person a·year in the area i live in, besides, i cant get instant torque and free for·me travel cause $4 a gallon for gas is still to much for me,
    edited 2008-09-18 03:23
    You design and build circuits than can handle a million watts, you certainly don't need advice from any of us.

Because you're quite qualified to be lecturing most senior electricians and engineers who do this stuff for a living.

Proceed as planned.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-18 03:39
    So what would happen if you had it parked backwards against a wall, and the thing decided to blow? You have two options: the firewall breaks and sends shards into the drivers' back and head, or it flips the whole cart up and you get crushed beneath the burning refuse. I think I'll stick to my gasoline...

True, gasoline engines kill thousands of people a year, but think of how many there are out there: lawnmowers, leaf blowers, edgers, cars, trucks, generators, boats; the list goes on and on. Now think of how many high power electric (personal) devices out there: one or two lawnmowers, a couple of go carts, and maybe a bicycle or two. The gasoline engine has been in development for over a hundred years now, while electric motors much less than that and with a lower priority.

How much is your life worth, anyway? Personally, I think life is worth at least paying $4 a gallon for reliability and ease of use.

Why do you want to have instant torque? All it would do is spin the wheels, and that's no good.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-09-18 09:43
    Electric motors are much safer than gasoline motors, per se. But electricity is dangerous, and gasoline also. None of these methods are free from risk. Motors as having moving parts have to be very well anchored. If you decide to go for this, you do not need an actual motor for testing your circuits. You can go with a lamp test, i.e. use light bulbs as load, 24V lamps and you start with a couple of amps and go all the way to 50A or so (what happens during short-circuit should be also contemplated!).
    When you circuit is done, and works, and it is safe, you can go to the motor test. You anchor the motor to a test bench used for testing motors, and make all the relevant tests: no load, half load, full load, short-circuit. Once the circuit passes all tests... the kart comes. Testing the circuit in the kart directly... is not safe. When you test the kart, it should not lay on the floor, so it does not move when the motor spins. There you test coupling, light load and so on, and then you move the kart.

Disclaimer: I'm not liable for any of this advice, use it at your own risk.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,243
    edited 2008-09-18 11:00
    You really need to specify the voltage and risetime you need to decide which switch is best...

But, I've used a 600 IGBT module rated for 600 V from Powerex (like the CM600HU-12F). You need a special driver board, but that board (BG1) takes TTL input.

You'll also need some kind of snubber circuit if your load has a lot of inductance.
    edited 2008-09-18 11:08
    A customer that I designed a solid state relay for, performing 100 Arms (150 Apk) impulse sealing, used a 50 amp ultra-rapid HRC fuse inline with each firing circuit. This proved to be very effective at protecting against spannerised short circuits. :> It saved the power MOSFET too.

I was amused with the fact that those fuses aren't blowing under normal impulse operation even though the pulse length is consistently a good 10 cycles long.

PS: Operating voltage is a rectified 10 Vrms transformer. And has a decent lump of copper bar sticking out of her.
  • OwenSOwenS Posts: 173
    edited 2008-09-18 15:20
    Do you realise how big 100amps is?

I have some 100amp rated cable here, which is 1cm in diameter multistrand copper.

100A at 24V is 2400W. The average hosue in the UK gets a feed of 60A at 230V, thus 13800KW. You are proposing a power level one fifth of the average house' peak demand. The only people I have seen putting that much power into a motor are combat robot builders. To give you an idea of the power, these things can pull landrovers at ~40mph. You do not need anywhere near this much power to the motors of a go-kart. At that much power, a short circuit will weld steel. This is more power than some arc welders use.

At that power level, any components which fail short circuit will explode. At that power level, any switching component will generate masses of heat unless both adequitely cooled and switched very well.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-09-18 17:03
    Enough with the lectures already. science_geek has been warned and is apparently aware of the dangers. Researching electric vehicle technology is a much-needed, albiet possibly very dangerous exercise. Someone has to do it, and someone will get burned if they are careless. Just don't be stupid or you will pay for it.· There are plenty of ways to die in this world.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.· My wish has come true.· I no longer know how to use my telephone."

- Bjarne Stroustrup
  • Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
    edited 2008-09-18 21:38
    Just though I'd mention that some of the electric model airplanes and helicopters have somewhere around 50+ amps available from the li po batteries.