Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Run away serial.... — Parallax Forums

Run away serial....

Sniper KingSniper King Posts: 221
edited 2008-09-14 04:52 in Propeller 1
I have this problem on occasion.··I can't make it happen.·Using FullDuplexSerial, during serial transmission,· the serial port will rattle off an endless stream of characters.· The chip crashes and it is reboot time.·

Anybody else run into this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
·- Ouch, thats not suppose to be hot!··

Michael King
Application Engineer
R&D
Digital Technology Group

Comments

• MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-09-14 00:49
    I don't know what propeller board you have, but if you have the usb protoboard like I do, there should be two capacitors going from the 5 volt regulator and the 3.3 v reg to ground.· I hear they sometimes oscillate. You can ask tech support about that, they are very helpful.

good luck!
  • MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-09-14 00:49
    I forgot to tell you that sometimes the 3.3volt cap is missing and you have to add it.
  • Sniper KingSniper King Posts: 221
    edited 2008-09-14 01:08
    This is actually my own board. The caps are good as far as I can tell but I will put a scope on it on monday to see if I am getting crazy occilations.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·- Ouch, thats not suppose to be hot!··

Michael King
    Application Engineer
    R&D
    Digital Technology Group
  • Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
    edited 2008-09-14 02:24
    Have you checked all your stack sizes on all spin cogs with the stack size checker? Remember to add a margin of safety as all the checker is doing is seeing how many longs are changed within the array. Make sure you are not missing any # signs in any assembly. From the sound of things I would guess that your ram is being overrun with some object somehow.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,658
    edited 2008-09-14 04:52
    Sounds like latchup cooking the poor little Prop. [noparse]:([/noparse] Or something almost as bad.

Using interface chips? Got a schematic? Is there Earths involved? Is there power devices being driven? Is there anything that could be a big fat aerial in the layout? Does it have a good ground plane and the ceramic caps close to the power pins?

That'll do for the moment.