Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Questions about Prop and the Ethernet Object — Parallax Forums

Questions about Prop and the Ethernet Object

T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,223
edited 2008-09-13 19:26 in Propeller 1
obex.parallax.com/objects/196/

I am interested in learning about connecting the Prop to the internet and routers for communication to a remote computer (PC/Mac). The idea is to connect any number of Prop based boards with the ENC28J60 IC on them to a Host system, whether Prop based host or PC/Mac.

I haven't put together a board for this and am just researching how to accomplish the goal of a Master Prop Terminal or Master PC/Mac Terminal overseeing numerous Prop based remotes (two way com), and am wondering if the Prop>ENC28J60 will connect directly to the internet by some convention. How the Prop and IC would be recognized on the internet is a mystery, I only can imaging that you would have to have the router connect to the Prop, and the users known internet IP address, to all access by a computer elsewhere on the router or internet. This is foggy to me.

As well, does this object and IC even work within a building on a standard internet router? I assume that is the whole point of the IC and object.

I would be interested to know what distances could be obtained with an ethernet cable between the Prop/Ethernet IC and the router, as well as the router to all the remotes. I have no idea where to start with this.

If anyone can offer any insight, or the best way to start figuring this out, that would be great.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-13 19:26
    Look at the website and documentation for the YBox2 project. It's a small Propeller board that uses an ENC28J60 to create an internet server. The software is all open source. The website is here: www.deepdarc.com/ybox2.