Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SuperDOS--The REAL Propeller OS! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

SuperDOS--The REAL Propeller OS!

2»

Comments

• trodosstrodoss Posts: 577
    edited 2008-10-02 17:17
    @tpw_man - Are you still working on SuperDOS, or are you on to other projects?· It looked great so far.·
    I would be interested in seeing the source if you don't plan on finishing it.

Post Edited (trodoss) : 10/2/2008 8:32:20 PM GMT
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2008-10-04 23:14
    What exactly does SuperDOS do? I thought I'd give it a try but I have no idea where to start or what to expect!
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-10-05 01:03
    What SuperDOS does is equivalent to MS-DOS. It runs programs in a shell, and provides them with standard stuff that they would need like sd/tv/kb. Writing programs is very simple, and does not need much customization.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1011, so be surprised!

Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
    Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
    Channel: #propeller
    Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
    If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
    tongue.gif
    edited 2008-10-05 07:24
    I see, and very cool!

I got the installer to run, but superdos.bin does not. I assume it's hardcoded for a 5 MHz crystal, which my board does not have.
    Will you be releasing an updated installer to modify clock frequency as well as pin assignments?

Meanwhile, how does a program running under SuperDOS access sd/tv/kb functionality?
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2008-10-07 17:57
    Hello

ware would a person get a copy of SuperDos for the prop. with a little documentation this seems like an answer to a lot of problems for me. I just dont have a lot of time to learn spin or asm as of yet. Any help would be useful. I am googleing for it now.

Badger
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-10-07 19:45
    The Installer ZIP archive is in the first post. The installer helps you configure the pins, install software packages, and program the EEPROM.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1011, so be surprised!

Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
    Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
    Channel: #propeller
    Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
    If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
    tongue.gif
    edited 2008-10-13 21:14
    What about configuring clock speed? I tried patching superdos.bin by hand, but apparently my 1337 haxxing skillz were not up to par.
    And I'll second Badger's request for documentation.

Don't leave us in the lurch here! Save us, tpw_man!
  • M. K. BorriM. K. Borri Posts: 279
    edited 2008-10-14 23:07
    We have a script parser if it helps, been calling it NOSIC lately. I'll post it if it's on topic.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=650217

meow, i have my own topic now? (sorta)
  • PashaPasha Posts: 56
    edited 2008-11-04 15:13
    How hard would it be to add directory support, or even just pseudo directory suport like was being talked about for propdos here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=731255.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-11-04 15:23
    It was added to PropDOS 1.7 {http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=683157},
    feel free to rip and tear if it is useful. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 11/4/2008 3:28:39 PM GMT
  • trodosstrodoss Posts: 577
    edited 2008-11-04 16:18
    @tpw_man
    I know you had said that it runs things in a shell and is staying resident, so are you using a COGNEW to invoke the code, or are you doing something like PropDOS, where the file is opened from the SD card, and is then rebooted, but are retaining the SuperDOS 'resident' code somewhere in memory (mimicing how DOS TSR's work)? Just curious.