Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Object Tracking — Parallax Forums

Object Tracking

ERYERY Posts: 5
edited 2008-09-15 16:01 in BASIC Stamp
How would I be able to track a moving object at distances of up to 50 ft with a camera on servos, being able to pan and tilt. Would the Boe-Bot CMUCam setup work or can I use some micro controllers with a CMUCam3 or other cam/motion sensor? The Boe-Bot CMUCam says it has the ability to control one servo, I would need two for pan and tilt. Would I be able to utilize another micro controller to accomplish the tilt? Please help!

Post Edited (ERY) : 9/12/2008 7:34:58 PM GMT

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-09-13 01:02
    How big an object and how fast is it moving? The cam and boe may not be your best choice but we need more info.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-09-13 05:47
    Are you referring to something connected to a BASIC Stamp?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • ERYERY Posts: 5
    edited 2008-09-15 11:48
    Human sized objects traveling at speeds from walking to running.
    Chris said...
    Are you referring to something connected to a BASIC Stamp?
    Well I was thinking of using multiple basic stamps for the whole setup, unless there is something more suited for the task.
  • denodeno Posts: 242
    edited 2008-09-15 12:47
    Presently, I am using 3 ultrasonic devices from www.senscomp.com to track myself with a following golf caddy.· This is the Mini S device, and there is 3 range selections to choose from.· I am using the .5 to 20 foot model.· However, they do have a 1 to 40 foot model.·

I am using 3· of the Mini S models to track me in a center, left, right movement.· To track up and down as well, I should think you would need 2 more devices, making a total of 5 devices arranged in a ---->·· (a "*" ·=· Mini S sensor)··

Angle the outside Mini S's to point up and down and left and right, leaving the center to point straight ahead.· A little overlap is ok, as you can write the code to interpet when there is a detection on the center, and to ignore the outsides sensors.· Only when one of the outside sensors has a detection, will the pan or tilt respond.··It does take some creative code writing to get the sensors and the pan/tilt motors to work together, but it can be down.

Deno
    1280 x 1024 - 194K
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-15 16:01
    If you want to use a camera, you'll need to wear the same color every time and make sure the background contrasts. Think of yourself as a green screen: to be effective, the green screen has to be constant and unchanging. Using ultrasonic or some other distance detection would be better then tracking with a camera.