Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Directly loading *.binary to eeprom problems — Parallax Forums

Directly loading *.binary to eeprom problems

Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
edited 2008-09-11 22:37 in Propeller 1
I have created a visual basic propeller loader using usb hid. I am attempting to load the eeprom but I don't seem to have something quite right. Does the file have any other misc included or does it load starting at byte 0 of the file?

When I read back the file the prop tool won't recognize the binary and says that byte 5 checksum is incorrect. Viewed in notepad they look the same.(I need a good hex editor since the prop tool has pretty high standards I guess)

Any pointers?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-11 22:26
    The *.binary file is loaded starting at location zero of the EEPROM.

The checksum is the sum of all the bytes in the file up to 32K. It must sum to zero. If the file length is less than 32K, I think the rest is assumed to be zeros.

What do you do with the file from the time it's written by the Propeller Tool until you attempt to read it back into the Propeller Tool?
  • Erik FriesenErik Friesen Posts: 1,071
    edited 2008-09-11 22:37
    It is written to the eeprom, then read back into a byte buffer in vbasic and saved under its own name, so it is entirely a product of the eeprom. As of writing this the prop tool recognized the file on my second try.

It seems to work somewhat intermittenly so It may be that I will have to do a read and verify. Do you know if the propeller does this automatically or does it simply reject any eeprom that doesn't verify?

My problem also could be related to some bug in my vbcode or hid eeprom loader. I am a little unclear if feature and input reports will be sent in parallel by the host.