Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Use of uOLED PROP for games — Parallax Forums

Use of uOLED PROP for games

Sachiel7Sachiel7 Posts: 41
edited 2008-09-11 00:03 in Propeller 1
Hey all,
I'm curious to know if anyone has played around with the uOLED Prop unit.
I'd like to know if it's fast enough for game applications, because if so, I can use it to extend my Retrosys project quite a bit.
I know the display is kinda small for games and so forth, but with what I have in mind, I think it'll be a good package.
One huge advantage of the package is the fact that it uses per-pixel operations, which pretty much allows you to create a graphics engine easily, however, it all relies on how fast its per-pixel operations are. In the sample code, it mentions that there are faster ways to implement their per-pixel commands.
Has anyone played around with it yet to see if it would hold up for that application?
::crosses fingers::
Thanks a bunch.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
-=Sachiel7=-

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-10 20:04
    The uOLED-Prop is slightly faster than the Hydra in terms of processing speed and that is primarily intended for game development and use. As you have noticed, the limiting factor for uOLED-Prop games is the display. It is small which means that display update time is much less important than for a 320 x 240 pixel or bigger TV display. Your main problem will be making whatever you plan to do look nice on the tiny screen. Have fun.
  • Ed ParsonsEd Parsons Posts: 31
    edited 2008-09-11 00:03
    I would heartily suggest the Brilldea uOLED graphics driver written by Timothy Sweiter and recently optimized by Mark Swann. The optimized version has not been uploaded to the OBEX yet (as far as I know), but it is available on this thread.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=716659

These guys have done some awesome stuff with the display for the uOLED-96-PROP. The display is extremely fast.

Ed