Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Intelligent battery charger and discharger using BS2 help?? — Parallax Forums

Intelligent battery charger and discharger using BS2 help??

ShyShy Posts: 15
edited 2008-09-09 16:28 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,

I want to make a intelligent charger for 9V cells (connected in series). I wish that, that charger could monitor temperature, have ability of fast, normal and trickle charging, power shutdown incase of short circuiting, load monitoring and also on discharge part it could control discharge rate, monitor remaining capacity of battery etc

Please also help me about hardware design.

From where i can get theory about chargers only

Waiting

Post Edited (Shy) : 9/9/2008 3:37:31 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-09 16:11
    The hard part is all the hardware design. First search the web for DIY (Do It Yourself) battery chargers. Search the Wikipedia for articles on battery charging. Look at various manufacturer's datasheets and application notes for battery charger chips. Start with Maxim/Dallas since they make several charger chips. You need to learn how to make a simple battery charger first for the particular type of cell you want to use. I assume you're talking about NiMH. Don't try to make a Li battery recharger yourself. It's too dangerous unless you use a commercial charge controller chip.

You didn't say what the total voltage of the battery pack would be. Things get much more complicated with higher voltages because you have to isolate the controller from the rest of the circuitry. Even two 9V batteries in series would require voltages on the order of 14.4 to 16.8V minimum. You might be better off using fewer larger cells to produce something like 6V and step that up to whatever operating voltage you need.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2008-09-09 16:28