Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallel LCD Display vs. serial LCD, which is best to use with BS2? — Parallax Forums

Parallel LCD Display vs. serial LCD, which is best to use with BS2?

po2lepo2le Posts: 76
edited 2008-09-15 03:03 in BASIC Stamp
Parallax has serial (16 x 2)LCD displays for about $30.00.· I've seen other LCD displays advertised for less money.· I know I'm a cheapskate, but I was wondering if those cheaper displays would be compatable with my BS2?· I've seen some advertised that are parallel displays for about $10.· Will they work with the BS2 ?· Which is better a serial display or parallel?· What is the main difference between the two types?· How do I choose the type of display?· I need to operate my BS2 away from my computer, and I would like to at least be able to debug.

PO2LE blush.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-09 06:20
    The parallel display has a different type of controller (hence the name). The BS2 does not have built-in support for parallel displays. It can be done with subroutines, but that takes program space. If you had a BS2p/pe/px module, the issues would be different because of the built-in support in those modules. Parallel displays require more I/O pins to support than serial displays.

I strongly suggest you get a serial display. It's easier to use. If you want to buy a cheaper display and the company that sells it seems to have good support, by all means do so. Parallax can't really support it. Companies like Scott Edwards Electronics and Matrix Orbital sell a variety of serial LCD displays and have been around for many years. They have a good reputation for support. You'll have to decide on the price and value.
  • leetmanleetman Posts: 11
    edited 2008-09-10 03:45
    Definitely serial. They're easier to use, and the BASIC Stamp has serial support already. If you're going to need a display that's high-brightness and temperature-proof I would get a VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent Display) like the one that Parallax sells. They're a tad more fragile than an LCD but are still remarkably durable (I dropped one from a few feet and it survived) and won't distort at an extreme angle.
  • po2lepo2le Posts: 76
    edited 2008-09-11 05:17
    Thank you, leetman.
  • be80bebe80be Posts: 56
    edited 2008-09-14 05:59
    Look at this before you spend all that money www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/audiovis/lcd2x16par.pdf
    parallel LCD works with the stamp to and it has the code for it to.
  • be80bebe80be Posts: 56
    edited 2008-09-14 21:02
    Just to show you what it looks like in parallel LCD the sharp i got out of a fax and the HD is a LM041L the code is from
    parallax http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/src/prod/LCD2x16Par.zip
    400 x 300 - 30K
    400 x 300 - 30K
  • po2lepo2le Posts: 76
    edited 2008-09-15 03:03
    Thank you, be80be. I will check in to this.