Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stepper motor — Parallax Forums

stepper motor

vla7vla7 Posts: 79
edited 2008-09-14 23:28 in BASIC Stamp
I have a stepper motor· that I took from an old scanner.· It has six wires.· Can someone please guide me into connecting and programming it to the basic stamp (bs2)?

Comments

• Jack JordanJack Jordan Posts: 24
    edited 2008-09-09 01:01
    The first thing here is to seperate the six wires into two groups of three (two center-tapped coils). This is quickly done by measuring the risistance between each wire. When there is no reading (open circuit) then the two wires belong to different groups. Fortunately many manufacturers already group the six wires into two groups of three as they leave the motor. So the next step:

Measure the ristance between the wires of each group of three. The center tap will have equal restance to both ends.

Jack
  • vla7vla7 Posts: 79
    edited 2008-09-09 02:28
    I see that they are seperated into to sets: black, brown, red; and orange, red, yellow.
  • Jack JordanJack Jordan Posts: 24
    edited 2008-09-14 23:28
    Check the ristance on each group. Two will have equal measurments to the third.

This makes the third the center tap, this is the wire you apply motor rated voltage.

If you dont have a datasheet you will have to play until you find the correct sequance to make the motor rotate.
    Steps······ DATA %1100, %0110, %0011, %1001··· '1s are the coils that will be energized

Hope this helps
    Jack