Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp software for PIC micro processors? — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp software for PIC micro processors?

QQ Posts: 3
edited 2008-09-09 02:04 in BASIC Stamp
Does any one know if Basic Stamp software and serical cable can be used to program PIC micro processors? I have PICKit 2 which includes the USB programmber but it does not come with Basic compiler. Purchasing PIC Basic would cost same as buying a Boe-Bot kit.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-08 23:08
    No

Parallax Stamps are pre-programmed with the PBasic interpreter which interprets compiled byte codes in an external EEPROM (built into the Stamp module).· You'll need to buy some kind of compiler for the plain PIC microprocessor.· PICBasic works, but it somewhat limited unless you buy the Pro version.
    ·
  • QQ Posts: 3
    edited 2008-09-09 01:05
    Mike,
    Thanks for info. It sounds like I have buy a commercial compiler if I insist Basic. Hi-Tech C compiler came with the PICKit 2 free. I thought it would be nice to use Basic for both Stamp and PIC micros. Now I see another Basic compiler from MikroElektronika (MikroBasic) which seems less limited as well as has its own full blown IDE. Do you know which is the best for programmming PIC micros and also can be used for Stamp? How badly limited is the PIC Basic? PIC Basic Pro is $250 and just for hobby it is too much.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-09 01:41
    I have no experience with MikroBasic.· PICBasic is comparable in functionality with the BS1.· You'd have to go through the manuals to see the details and decide whether it would work for you.
  • QQ Posts: 3
    edited 2008-09-09 02:04
    Mike,
    Thanks for your input. I shall do some study with manuals.