Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Matter concerning modifying the Parallax GPS module. — Parallax Forums

Matter concerning modifying the Parallax GPS module.

bbnqondbbnqond Posts: 16
edited 2008-09-08 12:21 in BASIC Stamp
Dear All,

I am currently doing a project on GPS. And I have recently succeed in achieving the goal. However, I have some problem on fixing the satellites. it seems that the signal strength is not really strong in Hong Kong, so, I would like to strengthen the receiving power of the GPS module. I wonder if it is possible for me to attach a antenna onto the GPS module? Or are there any other possible solution for me to do so?

Regards,
bbnqond

tongue.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-06 14:40
    The GPS receiver is not designed for an external antenna. It really needs (literally) a clear view of the sky (the satellite). Walls, trees, people, pretty much any obstacle will reduce the signal. It is possible to get a GPS receiver with a socket for an external antenna and there are other GPS receivers that are more sensitive, but they're also generally more expensive.
  • bbnqondbbnqond Posts: 16
    edited 2008-09-07 02:21
    Hi Mike,

Due to the budget concern, I can't really consider other GPS modules.
    Awww, it seems I need to test my project somewhere in countryside.

Thz anyway [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Regards,
    bbnqond
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-07 02:31
    Just getting out in the street or in a little park or on a rooftop makes a huge difference. You may get only a brief lock due to the relatively narrow view of the sky, but not having a wall or roof in the way makes a difference. Sometimes standing next to a large window with a view of the sky helps.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-09-08 00:27
    GPS was designed for US military and defense operations, so North America gets the best reception. Several other organizations are developing their own system, EU included, so you may have to wait. Also, I don't think the WAAS part will work in HK, but thats speculation.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2008-09-08 12:21
    SRLM said...
    so North America gets the best reception
    That's incorrect.· The "G" in G-P-S is for Global.·
    The bottom line is satellites "in view", a view which high-rises and other tall buildings in such a highly-urbanized locale as Hong Kong·may well occlude.