Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Near Space — Parallax Forums

Near Space

Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
edited 2008-09-06 15:42 in Propeller 1
Not sure how high the Prop has been to date but it worked flawlessly at 106,384 feet.· For details of the HAPB-4 flight go to my website.
Earl

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
WWW.HAPB.NET

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs - ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do it." - H.T.Whitman

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-09-05 21:14
    I'd give you a 'high-five', but I can't reach that high LOL - well done.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.com

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again wink.gif
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offence at my writing style smile.gif
  • Paul_HPaul_H Posts: 85
    edited 2008-09-05 21:59
    Wow Earl,

I wish I could have seen that... Oh wait a sec - I was there! smile.gif
    Grats on the 20-mile high success!

Paul
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-09-05 22:36
    Earl,

I wonder what package Prop was used (DIP, SMD)? Also wonder how many cycles of low pressure and temperature the package could stand? Plus the shock/vibration that might occur on launch and return to earth.

Hope you took some pics of the flight. Cool ride. 20 miles up and back in what time?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-09-05 22:42
    Congrats Earl.

This is a little off topic, but somewhat related. A team at Penn State is using the Propeller in geophysical surveys of fast moving galciers in the Antarctic and Greenland. It doesn't break any altitude records, but they do operate in some of the coldest regions on earth.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 9/5/2008 11:16:24 PM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-09-05 22:55
    @Earl,

That's awesome!!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-09-06 01:45
    Harley, I read through some of the launch log on Earl's site and it said he used the SPIN Stamp so it was the surface mount version of the Prop.

Way to go Earl and Paul. That launched looks like fun! Some day I hope to do this.· One question I didn't see an immediate answer to, at the 60,000 or 80,000+ altititudes you are still receiving GPS signals?· What GPS are you using?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-09-06 15:00
    Thanks Timothy,

I didn't get that far to catch any details. Sometimes pressing matters get in the way. Interesting subject, rocketry and what all needs to be designed in.

Neat to see the prop used in this application. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
    edited 2008-09-06 15:42
    Timothy

I use the Garmin GPS18LVC. It has proven to be very reliable. Beware of the newer GPS18xLVC as it currently freezes above 60K feet. I have been told that Garmin is working on a fix but there is no telling when it will be available.

I also use the Opentracker APRS unit connected to a small HT. Inside my truck is a Kenwood D700 that connects to my laptop with tracking software running. Normally I am able to track the payload though the entire flight, however, half the antenna was ripped off at 65K and did not pick it up again until 18K. For about 10-15 minutes I thought I lost it and would have to wait until a farmer found it before getting it back.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    WWW.HAPB.NET

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs - ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do it." - H.T.Whitman