Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Write to file on computer — Parallax Forums

Write to file on computer

bboy8012bboy8012 Posts: 153
edited 2008-09-05 23:42 in Propeller 1
I know the prop can read from a file that is in the same directory as the executing spin file, but can it create, and append to a file? I want to stream GPS data wirelessly to another prop and just have that data recorded with out the need for an SD card. Thaks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Hunger hurts, starvation works!

Comments

• simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-09-05 21:09
    In your application, you could use the fullduplex object to stream the data back to the PC. You'd need something to receive it - like any terminal software (hyperterminal?) that you can copy & paste from (if it doesn't already allow you to save received data to file). I understand there's a way to receive COM port data directly into Excel too (can't remember the exact details, but it's something to do with a Microsft utility for serial keyboards I think). Otherwise you'll need to write the receiving application.

HTH.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.com

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again wink.gif
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offence at my writing style smile.gif
  • bboy8012bboy8012 Posts: 153
    edited 2008-09-05 21:30
    Didnt think about the simple stuff first like save in hyperterm. Thanks Simon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Hunger hurts, starvation works!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-09-05 23:42
    PST can also be used, with problems. Although the screen starts to play up after a number of characters received, the buffer appears to be ok. So you can do a copy of the screen data and paste into Notepad.

Hyperterm - Be careful if you use the standard Prop serial (USB) port as Hyperterminal asserts DTR which resets the prop. Provided you disable the DTR in hardware, Hyperterminal does a great job at capturing text. While it is missing in Vista, you can copy the files to Vista to make it work (I did) - Google this for more info.

It should also be possible to write a mini VBA application in Excel to capture straight into Excel.