Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Any embedded keyboards out there? — Parallax Forums

Any embedded keyboards out there?

MikiMiki Posts: 2
edited 2008-09-06 13:08 in Propeller 1
For my little device I need a small little keyboard like on a Sony VAIO UX180.

I'm not trying to build a little PC but a little device you can "chat" with. I already have my ai code built in C++.

Any advice or ideas? Any other way I could go besides propeller?

Thank you.

Mik

·

Comments

• J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
    edited 2008-09-05 14:20
    If your code is already in C++, you could perhaps look at Gumstick or other embedded Linux.

There are a number of small keyboards. Paralax has one for sale, there are some old IBM keyboards that are about as big as their old thinkpad laptop keyboards and if you stay with the propeller, there are some PDA keyboards that people have figured and found at very low prices.
  • trodosstrodoss Posts: 577
    edited 2008-09-05 16:26
    Hi,
    As J. A. Streich had mentioned, there was a PDA keyboard (I think originally it was for the Palm) that some people here had worked on.· I am pretty sure Bean on the forum has some for sale (~3 USD) on his site.· The item is labeled "TKB150P Palm Keyboard"
    http://www.hittconsulting.com/miscforsale.html

The discussion of the keyboard and .spin code is available here:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=702473

Even if you are not using a Propeller, (and are planning on using the same PDA keyboard on a project) you should still find the information useful.

There are several "mini keyboards" available (PS2/USB) that are made PC's that could also be used as well either by using a DIN6 or by cutting the wire and soldering it directly to your device.··Parallax sells one, and there are plenty of other sources (eBay) that you could use to source one as well).· If you are using·a Proto Board, there is already a place to solder a DIN6 connection (~1 USD on a site such as SparkFun), or the accessory kit (~15 USD) could be purchased from Parallax.· If you buy the DIN6 separately you would have to come up with the required resistors (two 100 Ω ¼ watt).· The "Proto Board Accessory Kit" documentation gives more information on the installation:
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/prop/Propeller-ProtoBoard-v1.2.pdf

Hopefully at least some of that information helps!

·Edit: Maybe I will learn to speel [noparse];)[/noparse]

Post Edited (trodoss) : 9/5/2008 7:34:33 PM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-09-05 18:29
    Here a picture of the keyboard trodoss is speaking of:

TKB150P-unit.jpg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • MikiMiki Posts: 2
    edited 2008-09-06 13:08
    That is grrreat. Really appreciate the replies... That fills a few gaps in my research. Thank you for posting. I will definately post my work once I get things going.

Thanks again!

mik