Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Book project: 101 projects for the ppdb — Parallax Forums

Book project: 101 projects for the ppdb

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2008-11-18 14:07 in Propeller 1
I've been busy splitting my Propeller time into experimentation and writing.

I've got two printed books in the works, an enhanced copy of the Propeller Cookbook,
and "101 Projects for the PPDB".

The second book is targeted at new Propeller users with the PPDB.
I've planned to cover basics to advanced Propeller projects/objects.
At the BASICS level, learning how to flash the LED. A more advanced project might
be running a copy of FEMTOBASIC. Remember the old Radio shack 101 electronics kits?
This book is being written in that style.

I'd love to some input on projects that should be included in this publication.
I've got lots of projects I'm already including, but want to make sure this is well rounded.
I should be ready to release this in a month or so.

Suggestions should be based around items on the PPDB, or items which can be
purchased from Radio Shack. (Example: PIR Sensor)

I've attached a "work-in-progress" sample of project 1.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS

Comments

• Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2008-09-05 15:20
    OBC,

I'm excited to hear about the books your working on.· I've been following Parallax and using Basic Stamps since 1997 but I need to expand my horizons and·jump into learning the powerful·Propeller MCU and its language of·Spin.

When you mentioned the old Radio Shack 101 kits, it reminded me about one of my all-time favorite electronics authors Forrest M. Mimms III.· What I like so much about his writing, is how he does·a wonderful job of simplifing concepts and putting them into laymans terms.· This works so well for me because once I start of grasp the basic concepts, then it's so much easier to begin adding in the·complexities again·after that.· I still have all of the Mimms Mini Engineers Notebooks that sold through Radio Shack.· They still come off the shelf regularly when I need·a refresh on something that I haven't put to·use for a while.

Thanks for the sample of 'project 1', it looks great!· Keep up the good work and consider a copy sold.

Tim
  • trodosstrodoss Posts: 577
    edited 2008-09-05 16:50
    OBC,
    The "Propeller Cookbook" is what got me started on the Propeller, so I am glad to see that it is going to be in print for the "future fans" of the Propeller.

Yes, I had many of the old Radio Shack 101 electronic kits. I can see how you could draw the parallel with the PPDB. Since it does not come bundled (at least that I can see) with jumper wire and the propeller chip that would probably be in the "Before you begin" section. I am sure that in future Parallax educational kits you are going to see this sort of thing bundled eventually with the PPDB, as this looks like an excellent board for maybe a university-level class.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-09-05 17:07
    All you need is 100 more [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I have a list of about 35 hardware ideas which I may submit to GadgetGangster at some point as they are completed, but most require much more than the PPDB. I'm also thinking book [noparse]:)[/noparse] or web-site if nothing else.

If I think of simple projects in your "scope" I'll happily share them. Meanwhile, reproducing but not copying entirely all of the existing projects designed for Basic Stamp and SX is a good start. I suppose you have also considered many of the wonderful projects on that big list you have.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,388
    edited 2008-09-05 17:11
    Hey there OBC,

Such a project has great potential if brought to completion. For example, Matt Gilliland's Microcontroller Application Cookbook (1 and 2) sold very well for many years, and we're still moving them. What made this book so great was that it was a collection of simple projects with sources and parts people could locate. Nothing so big it was difficult for people to understand. I can see that you've also got some Corel drawings and you're matching what we do quality-wise, so I can appreciate the difficulty of keeping that level of quality, too. Whatever the outcome of your project, having well-developed content opens many more doors than if you only have a vision to talk about, so carry on! Lots of options for something that gets completed with a high degree of quality (McGraw-Hill, Parallax Inc. Press, self-publishing, bundling, etc.). It's not easy, but you pulled off the UPNEE!

We would be pleased to provide all the Parallax parts you need for this project. Feel free to make any requests to me.

Keep up the project!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-09-05 21:34
    Ooh, can't wait to see the whole thing! I got one recently, but there is a bug in my letter scrolling code [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1011, so be surprised!

Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
    Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
    Channel: #propeller
    Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
    If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
    tongue.gif
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-09-05 23:11
    @Tim-M: I'll make sure your copy is processed first. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Thanks for the vote of confidence.

@trodoss: The "expanded" version of the Cookbook will include a few more project as well as spin code
    for learning how to using the connected items. It looks like the PPDB book is getting more attention,
    so it won't get completed first, but it is in process.

@twp-man: Letter scrolling code. I'm just getting the bugs out of my digit code. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Figures.
    Go Thomas Go!

@Ken: That isn't a Corel Graphic. (I'm in a holding pattern, I'm told they will be there soon.)
    I clipped that from the PPDB doc as a temp. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Glad the sample looks good.

I've got around 40 projects on my list so far, and a bunch of code to write!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2008-09-06 14:16
    I would hope one of those projects would be a video game project [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I am not familar with the specs on the PPDB board, but a video game project would only need a few parts to get video, audio, and use DB-9 connectors for joysticks.

Also if you do a video game project, feel free to use my tetris and pong games in it too.
    edited 2008-09-06 14:40
    Actually, I thought I might use the four of the push buttons for game control.

I may have to modify those games just a bit for that. They will be included! Thank you!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-09-06 14:50
    OBC,

I am excited about your book!

smile.gif
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-09-06 15:15
    OBC, Seems you need to specify an accessory pack.

PPDB has no speaker. At least it has a head-phone jack. Takes the fun out of sharing audio unless you connect to an amplifier or TV. There's no RCA jack for TV audio though :< I suppose your accessory pack will need one or more of those cute little RCA break out boards. Of course someone can create a dose of rationalization to go into the accessory pack [noparse]:)[/noparse]

So, I assume you have some kind of sound generator in your project that might use those buttons, ring-tones, or some kind of analog input. I always thought it was neat as a kid to mess with the circuit you could touch to affect sound. Maybe something similar could be applied to video out.

Another interesting audio project would be to hook up one of the Fast Fourier Transforms between a microphone input and the LED segment displays or TV out. This could create a light organ like in the 70's or allow making media player like visualizations.

Electronics theory experiments could be done in entertaining ways with PPDB. That pack of 15 LEDs could be used as a meter in different Ohms law experiments; some potentiometers are on the board to make DC theory easy to do. Of course having some inductors and capacitors with adjustable variations of both could allow for AC theory experiments, etc....

With video, one could design a status experiment that would show multiple dimensions at once. For those theory experiments power, voltage, current, resistance and/or impedence could be displayed.

Adding digital potentiometers to your accessory pack would allow you to add controls in a stimuli/measurement system.

If your book proceeds in a "learning spiral" way, the end material can bring together many concepts for big projects.

Good Luck.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve
    edited 2008-09-07 05:31
    OBC - can't wait to read it!

smile.gif
  • unebonnevieunebonnevie Posts: 20
    edited 2008-09-07 17:04
    Your books are great!! THANKS!!! I am such a newbie with electronics...Purely software guy :-(

By the way, if anyone has tips on how to get started on electronics, greatly appreciate it!
  • unebonnevieunebonnevie Posts: 20
    edited 2008-09-07 17:27
    By the way, can uController's audio/video adapter play pre-recorded (with proper spin objects, of course) *.wav files? Pardon me if this sounds like newbie question, which it is [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Brian218Brian218 Posts: 92
    edited 2008-09-07 18:17
    OBC Great Idea!

Although I'm still learning Spin programming, I can ALMOST get the Prop to do what I want it to. Here are a few projects ideas that I would have found helpful while learning the Propeller. These might be somewhat simple, but they are either things that gave me a little trouble, or were something that I had (or still have) an interest in doing. I'm sure you've already got a few of these, just my 2 cents.

1. Using an LCD display
    2. Using matrix keypads
    3. LED matrix displays (5X7, 8X8 etc) and also using drivers with the matrix to source a higher current output.
    4. Passing parameters between objects **this really gave me some trouble**
    5. Several examples that adapt objects from the Propeller Object Exchange.
    6. Expanded outputs/inputs using shift registers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This post is a work of art. Variations in spelling and grammar are intentional, artistic endeavors that add value to all of mankind.
    edited 2008-09-07 18:33
    unebonnevie said...
    By the way, can uController's audio/video adapter play pre-recorded (with proper spin objects, of course) *.wav files? Pardon me if this sounds like newbie question, which it is [noparse]:)[/noparse]

This book is designed with "newbies" in mind.. Don't apologize for the question. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Yes, I had planned to include Rayman's wav player code as a project in the book.

Here's the link to Rays wav player: obex.parallax.com/objects/324/

uController's audio/video adapter is a fine product, but not the only option for producing sound.
    Check out the cookbook link below for details.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-07 18:37
    Brian218 said...
    OBC Great Idea!

1. Using an LCD display
    2. Using matrix keypads
    3. LED matrix displays (5X7, 8X8 etc) and also using drivers with the matrix to source a higher current output.
    4. Passing parameters between objects **this really gave me some trouble**
    5. Several examples that adapt objects from the Propeller Object Exchange.
    6. Expanded outputs/inputs using shift registers.

Originally, I had planned to stay with either parts on the PPDB or Radio Shack.
    I've expanded this to include many Parallax inventory including the Parallax serial LCD,
    and most of the sensors from Parallax. I hadn't considered shift registers, and matrix keypads.
    I will add those to my list.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-07 18:39
    jazzed said...
    OBC, Seems you need to specify an accessory pack.

More than 2/3 of the projects will be centered on the parts actually on the PPDB if I can help it.
    Projects which require other parts have the requirements list both on the page with the project,
    as well as a master list.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2008-09-07 19:09
    Oldbitcollector

I Like what·I have seen so far

I can not wait to read your book when it is done

·I LIKE THE· idea.gif

Keep working on this book I would like to start using the· Propeller·in some of my projects

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-09-07 20:45
    OldBit...

1. Why don't you open it up to contributors...? There are lots of projects that never made it to the object exchange or to the forum. I have a couple myself, which I just never had a reason to post, because by themselves they didn't offer very much... and I hate to comment my code and I hate to draw all of the diagrams and I just got a camera that is good enough to actually photograph my boards.

2. I love kits... particularly well done kits... and SpinStudio was right on the spot and partsman seems serious about this end of the business. There is no reason why some of the projects couldn't include project kits... to save people from the process of finding all of the right parts and ordering them individually... This would save Parallax some work too!

A guy shouldn't have to order a kit... but if that's what he wants to do, there should be a way for him to do it.

And then there is also the problem that if you use a part... at some point in the future that part might become less unavailable... then your readers would have to know a compatible part... or you would have to keep up a change list... until the end of time. But if a guy ordered a kit, the kit maker could do all of the worrying and simply supply the right part with a little note to the user.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-09-07 22:23
    rjo_ said...
    2. I love kits... particularly well done kits... and SpinStudio was right on the spot and partsman seems serious about this end of the business.

Thank you for the kind words.

OBC... if there are some kits that some of your projects need. I'd be glad to stock them. I have the infrastructure in place and I stock most of the parts that you may base your projects on. If a small adapter PCB might be needed, I can help with that too.

My shipping is affordable too... US and international for only $5

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
    edited 2008-09-08 03:44
    Thanks for the support guys.

I took the day off to scare myself on some rides at the fair. (Not fond of heights.)
    I have about half of the book planned out at this point, with some emails to a few people for
    permission to use their code as posted in the forums. I'll post a list of projects in a few days,
    most of them being centered around one item at a time as part of the learning process.

One of the biggest hurtles I'm dealing with right now is the lack of a good method of
    handling the NES or SNES controllers. The NES female adapters are not plentiful, and
    I can't guaranty every controller or extension to have the exact color code if I have
    the user hack the end off. I've heard rumor on another part of this forum that our
    friends at Parallax might have the means to pull off a solution, but they would have to
    commit to stocking these in bulk. I'm just not prepared to handle an order of 1000 myself.

A couple of the games I have permission to use are being adapted to the PPDB buttons.
    I've already converted JT Cooks' PONG to button interface.

Anyone have any good ideas for handling NES controllers? Keep in mind that the readers
    may be rank beginners. Even a good method of attaching to the N64 (three wire) would
    be welcome.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-08 03:52
    I would like to see a project that takes the boebot from being an Ameoba like alpha robot all the way to a Gamma type. One that can not only avoid obsticals but also can remember his mistakes. He will have confidence levels and have the ability to generalize. That is what I will to accomplish on my little boebot. Where you give him a large number of things he can do and don't tell him which one to do, just simply tell him he must do something. Let him have free agency with his little random# generator and his confidence levels so he can make a good choice. Let him grow in intelligence and have a personality all his own. He will have his own Entity. This is what gets me excited about robotics. That is the wish for my little robot. Hope you can do it.

This type of unit is a TRUE autonomous robot not some remote control toy.
    edited 2008-09-08 03:54
    Also, if I would have had your book, I could've save a ton of work for the people who helped me by answering my questions. It will be a MUST for any Beginner.
  • TimmooreTimmoore Posts: 1,031
    edited 2008-09-08 07:21
    Oldbitcollector said...
    Thanks for the support guys.

I took the day off to scare myself on some rides at the fair. (Not fond of heights.)
    I have about half of the book planned out at this point, with some emails to a few people for
    permission to use their code as posted in the forums. I'll post a list of projects in a few days,
    most of them being centered around one item at a time as part of the learning process.

One of the biggest hurtles I'm dealing with right now is the lack of a good method of
    handling the NES or SNES controllers. The NES female adapters are not plentiful, and
    I can't guaranty every controller or extension to have the exact color code if I have
    the user hack the end off. I've heard rumor on another part of this forum that our
    friends at Parallax might have the means to pull off a solution, but they would have to
    commit to stocking these in bulk. I'm just not prepared to handle an order of 1000 myself.

A couple of the games I have permission to use are being adapted to the PPDB buttons.
    I've already converted JT Cooks' PONG to button interface.

Anyone have any good ideas for handling NES controllers? Keep in mind that the readers
    may be rank beginners. Even a good method of attaching to the N64 (three wire) would
    be welcome.

OBC

Have you seen nesrepairshop.com they sell nes and snes controllers and sockets.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-09-08 07:41
    If it were me, I would provide enough information for somebody to just fabricate their own connector and provide some links to potential sources for controllers.

Perhaps, a photo and some light discussion about the controller with a photo or two would help to clue the more adventurous ones in.

Hey, a simple test the controller program would help a bunch too. Loading one dead simple file, with a simple display, would at least let them focus on the problem! The controller discussion could focus on identification of the power -vs- the data inputs. From there, they could futz around and see some success, or ask good enough questions to get (safe maybe?) answers.

Rank beginners could run the button converted things, then get motivated enough to step a bit deeper into the pool.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
    edited 2008-09-08 13:50
    Timmoore said...

Have you seen nesrepairshop.com they sell nes and snes controllers and sockets.

Yes, but "10 in Stock" doesn't strike me as a solid source.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-09-08 13:58
    Oldbit...

If you go to a RadioShack within about 20 miles of where I live... you won't find any MosFets... U can't imagine how many I destroyed before I finally figured out what I needed to do... a couple of issues, sometimes you can't figure out which is up and which is down... and then when you go to Forrest Mims... he acts like he has never heard of a Propeller[noparse]:)[/noparse]

On the Web... there are plenty of examples of stand alone circuits but only very rarely are there simple circuits interfaced to a microprocessor that are of any help.

I even have a Proto board... which seems like it is still alive... the LED test works, but when I try to run more complicated code, which works perfectly on another Proto board... it just sits there... So, I think I've figured out a new way to destroy Proto boards too!!!
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-09-08 13:59
    Why not just a standard D9 Atari type joypad connector? far easier to get parts [noparse]:)[/noparse] also works with sega master system joypads and connect a bit shifter and it's the same code as the NES one. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2008-09-08 18:05
    NES CONTROLLER Adapter problem SOLVED! Thank you Parallax!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,388
    edited 2008-09-08 18:13
    OBC, we have about 8,000 units of these in our China warehouse. I'm going there next week and I'll bring a thousand back to Parallax so we can sell them from Rocklin, CA. Our web site will show the "quantity in stock" as what we're holding in Rocklin warehouse only. This is a bit misleading since we'll still have 8x that quantity stored overseas. I'm not sure if this connector mounts easily on our Prop Proto Boards or Propeller Professional Development Board. I need only two weeks to have these for sale on the web. They'll be about $2 each - hopefully that's okay.

The same applies to Propellers and SX chips. The web site may show 40-50K of Propeller chips "in stock" but it doesn't show what we hold at the packaging plant, in testing (we usually test as we need inventory), and in other warehouses - only finished goods and what we've got in Rocklin. If you've got needs that are larger than what we "stock" we can always supply - we just need some advance warning and a purchase order (in the case of chips).

Probably some boring information and more than you wanted to know. . .but I do more of this kind of stuff than program Propellers. While you guys program Props on a Friday night I'm sorting out future supply needs.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.