Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bless this mess — Parallax Forums

Bless this mess

macrofusemacrofuse Posts: 3
edited 2008-09-07 10:04 in Propeller 1
The Propeller Forum is a treasure chest!
But it is overflowing with information and ideas.
Its very difficult to find stuff that you remember having seen here.
What happened to the Prop Magazine?
Some kind of index would be very helpful.

Any good ideas?

Kaj

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
If the propeller stops - the pilot starts sweating...

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-09-05 12:09
    I went through the forum messages a couple months ago and assembled this list.

www.warrantyvoid.us/projects.html

You are right, there are real treasures buried in this forum.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-09-05 12:58
    I created an index but it is in desperate need of updating:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=609066
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-09-05 17:06
    Rather than one person being tasked with doing the indexing, it would be simpler, I think, for each poster to tag his/her posts in such a way that search.parallax.com can find them easily. My suggestion would be to label each thread or post with a series of tags in the post body, of the form "tag-subject", such as I've done here. Eventually, these tags will find their way to Parallax's Google search index. If one wanted to find a post about PWM, for example, they'd enter "tag-pwm" in the search field.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-09-05 17:48
    Or people starting posts can post a keyword line, and If it's unsightly you can use the color white for the text like this:

Keywords: Propeller, Spin, DMX, Light control board

Select the above hidden text to see what it says. Still searchable by search.parallax.com, but is unobtrusive to people reading the post.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-09-05 18:07
    Paul,

The way Google search works, I think each keyword has to be preceded by a common term or phrase, such as "keyword" or "tag" (which needs to be agreed upon to be effective). The reason is that Google's indexing is based on immediate proximity of words to each other. In your example (Keywords: Propeller, Spin, DMX, Light control board), if I wanted to search for "Propeller", I could type in keywords-propeller, and your post would come up. But it would not come up with keywords-dmx, for example. OTOH, if I typed in keywords dmx (without the hyphen), I'd get every reference to thread pages containing the words "keywords" and "dmx", even if they didn't both occur in a "keywords" line.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2008-09-05 18:08
    The other trick is getting people to stop hijacking threads....not an easy task.

As the initial question is answered, some other ideas pop up and gets lost in the non-applicable topic header!
    OR, the subject just says HELP! haha...not very descriptive for finding things after the fact!

There's lots of forgotten on here...but luckily there's always someone that remembers the link!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <FONT>Steve

What's the best thing to do in a lightning storm? "take a one iron out the bag and hold it straight up above your head, even God cant hit a one iron!"
    Lee Travino after the second time being hit by lightning!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-09-05 22:58
    If we can get Paul to quit posting off topic keywords in his messages, we'll be alright.. <SMIRK>

Now I'll never be able to find DMX, Light Control Boards with search.parallax.com.
    (Oh Smile! I just added to the problem!) [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-09-05 23:15
    Oldbitcollector said...
    If we can get Paul to quit posting off topic keywords in his messages, we'll be alright.. <SMIRK>
    tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-09-06 01:26
    Not to add to the mess, but I also think the Google Search Engine is smart enough that is also disects the font, color of text, text, background color, etc in order to understand how the words are used and their importance. One time I thought I was told the catalogging function was smart enough that it would not be fooled with a same color text font and background. That way web site had to show real content and couldn't embedded keywords and such in order to attract traffic.

I know where you can find some information on DMX! Ha!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-09-07 10:04
    Phil, a good search with tags is important but you must know what you are looking for, there are things in the index I am glad I know of, if I had not seen them I would never have indexed them.

In terms of the search one problem when using the google search and "inurl:"f=25" is that the results are meaningless, they are all labelled "parallax forums" without the title of the thread. I think this is because Parallax have titled the pages in reverse for example this page should be "Parallax Forums::Bless this mess" not the other way around.

Graham