Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tempest clone, bugs and inexperience — Parallax Forums

Tempest clone, bugs and inexperience

Jesse DruehlJesse Druehl Posts: 25
edited 2008-09-09 09:25 in Propeller 1
Remember Tempest?

I am having a few problems with my graphics routines and could use some pointers.

Drawing the playfield:
Basically I have declared a list of bytes in DAT which define the front 'face' of the level.
The rear pseudo perspectivised points are calculated with a scale and offset and then lines are draw from front to back points.
This works OK for now.

Drawing the tempest:
Originally while drawing the playfield I checked the tempest position (updated from another method) and changed the line color to indicate which segment the player was on.
I figured it would be better to move this to another method (draw_tempest).
This method attempts to draw the two lines which the tempest is on in a different color (overwriting what draw_playfield drew)
Drawing of the tempest itself should go in here next.
I seem to be misguided in my way of 'indexing' into the level table.
I know this must have to do with HUB ram being Byte addressed, but I cannot figure it out completely.

Help would be appreciated greatly.

Attached is the code, draw_playfield and draw_tempest are where I am having problems. I have heavily commented where I am stuck.

I only have a protoboard but figured this would be a more appropriate place to post, should get my hydra book tomorrow [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Jesse
W5JCD

Comments

• CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2008-09-08 15:00
    Hi there,

It's quiet around here at the moment. Don't know if you've got this one fixed yet. I don't have a working PC at the moment so I can't run your code, but it looks like you still have code in both draw_playfield AND draw_tempest to draw the different colored lines. I suggest you pick one or the other, andthen see if your problem goes away. If not, you'll at least have narrowed the problem down.

Cheers,
    Steve.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK
  • Jesse DruehlJesse Druehl Posts: 25
    edited 2008-09-09 03:08
    I was not drawing the other color line in draw_playfield, I commented them out and commented the change heavily.

I believe I have figured this out, got my hydra book [noparse]:)[/noparse] awesome (except the cover came off already, no biggie, content is the value)

My main problem was how I was indexing into the level vertex list. It took me 5 minutes to fix it after reading that one page in Andre's book.

Tomorrow I will try to polish off the drawing methods. Though now, I'm not sure I am going about it the right way, I may have to start from scratch after reading
    about how to organize a game. This is my first try at a game since the obligatory text based "choose your own adventure" in GW Basic years ago.

p.s. I think I am mistaken in naming, Tempest is the game, I hear references to "The Claw" as the player's character, and "The Web" as the playfield. Am I right or Wrong? (to quote skynyrd)

Jesse
    W5JCD

Post Edited (Jesse Druehl) : 9/9/2008 3:26:51 AM GMT
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2008-09-09 09:25
    Glad you got it sorted. Yes, I think it might have been called the claw. That rings some bells.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK