Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PC Power supply — Parallax Forums

PC Power supply

Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
edited 2008-09-04 14:44 in Propeller 1
I have a Prop Proto Board I want run off of a power supply pulled from an old PC. This means that I have regulated 5V at 14 Amps and regulated 12V at 4 amps. The Proto Board wants 6 to 9 volts. I can add another regulator to go from 12V to 9V, but it would be nicer if I could just bypass the 5V regulator on the Proto Board.

So the question is, can I get away with bypassing the 5V regulator and connecting my regulated 5V supply directly to the Proto Board's 5V rail. Or will this cause me grief?

Comments

• scanlimescanlime Posts: 106
    edited 2008-09-04 00:26
    If you don't have anything on the proto board that needs regulated 5V, you can just hook the PC's 5V supply up to the proto board's input. The proto board's 5V rail will be about a volt low, but its 3.3v will be stable.

--Micah
  • Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
    edited 2008-09-04 00:30
    I will need both 5V and 3.3V. From looking at the schematic, it looks like all I will lose is the on off switch. I am just not sure if that will freak out something I cannot see in the schematic.
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-09-04 00:32
    You can probably solder to the +5V rail to bypass the 5V regulator. I do it sometimes when I need to provide power from another board.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1011, so be surprised!

Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
    Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
    Channel: #propeller
    Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
    If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
    tongue.gif
  • TimmooreTimmoore Posts: 1,031
    edited 2008-09-04 00:51
    Connect the 5v to the proto board as its normal input. When you want 5v on the board get it from there rather than the normal 5v connections on the board. You can tap the input voltage on the VinSw pin going to the servo power jumper
  • Chuck RiceChuck Rice Posts: 210
    edited 2008-09-04 01:47
    Excellent. I did not even think of that! Thanks guys.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-09-04 14:44
    What I have done is just pull the 5V reg off the board. Then all the +5V connections work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot