Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
From Development to Prototype ? — Parallax Forums

From Development to Prototype ?

skewedToTheLeftskewedToTheLeft Posts: 9
edited 2008-09-04 09:29 in BASIC Stamp
I have a project that works like I want on my development board (Board of Education). It uses a PING sensor and a SSR to control an AC lightbulb. Now, I want to make a prototype out of this concept. The prototype will be for my own use. Where should I go from here? I know I'll need a programmable BS2 and some type of board that can hold my relay circuit (SSR). I have never done this before. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JB

Comments

• sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2008-09-03 15:58
    skewedToTheLeft

I have never done this before. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I do not mean any thing bad ·by asking this· but

Do·you how to solider ?

·If you know how Then look at these link

·BASIC Stamp 2 OEM Module (Kit Form)

BASIC Stamp 2 Carrier Board

Super Carrier Board

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 9/3/2008 4:13:08 PM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-03 16:11
    Have you looked at the Super Carrier Board? (www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampDevelopmentBoards/tabid/137/CategoryID/12/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/122/Default.aspx)

It's almost identical to the Board of Education with a solder prototype area replacing the breadboard. You can move your BS2 to it if you want or buy another one for the Carrier Board. How you mount the SSR depends on the SSR. You might give us a bit more information about what you currently have and how you have it set up.
  • skewedToTheLeftskewedToTheLeft Posts: 9
    edited 2008-09-03 20:09
    Thanks for the prompt replies. I'll answer both comments. I'm learning to solder. So far, I seem to have to use my de-soldering braid alot, but I hope that my skills will improve soon.

I think the Super Carrier board is exactly what I'm looking for. My project is very simple with only a couple of components used--PING sensor that sends a high signal to a Crydom SSR when an object is 2.5 feet away which turns on an AC light bulb. Then after 30 seconds have elapsed, a low signal is sent to the SSR to turn off the lightbulb. I'm going to use my woodworking skills to build a small frame for the prototype.

Thanks a million for the replies.

JB
  • CatspawCatspaw Posts: 49
    edited 2008-09-03 23:10
    Sounds you've been satisfied....but...

I thought I'd throw this in....I found this site ExpressPCB.com while I was surfing.

They have free design software for Schematics and PCBs. Basically you design your circuit, throw it at the PCB s/w, then e-mail it to them and they'll make PCBs for you. I haven't tried them...yet....but, I'm using their schematic s/w to start my projects for learning about Stamps. (Actually I'm hoping you'll use them and tell ME whether they're Smile or not....I'm thinking not.) < my 2 cents).
  • Dave-WDave-W Posts: 94
    edited 2008-09-04 01:29
    JB,
    ExpressPCB is First Rate! . I cannot say enough good about both their schematic and PCB software. Easy to learn and first class. I have had them make over 300 PCBs for me and they could not
    be more helpful. Even during the design stage when I only had four PCBs made they were right there with all the help I needed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave W.
  • CatspawCatspaw Posts: 49
    edited 2008-09-04 09:29
    That's nice to know. I've used CAD for years and there's something so easy about their s/w. Real easy to learn. Prices seemed REALLY good too. I can't wait to get something designed just so I can have them make the PCBs for me. I've made my own boards in the past...but for their prices....sheesh, it ain't worth it.