Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Why doesn't it see me? — Parallax Forums

Why doesn't it see me?

roughwireroughwire Posts: 78
edited 2008-09-03 04:05 in BASIC Stamp
Excuse me, I used to mess around with my old BS2 on a Board of Ed for fun, but I recently bought a laptop and (obviously) is has no serial ports, but my Board is serial. So I bought a "USB-to-Serial Portable Adapter" by Belkin, hoping to fix this. Well, I installed it and I figure it's functioning as designed, but when I open the Stamp Editor and I try to Identify it for example, (when plugged in with battery on) it shows it doesn't ID it, but it does show there is a Loopback, and an Echo. Now if I unplug the power from the stamp, the ID still says the same thing. Does someone know why it's not reading it? Thank you.

P.S. , It's a brand new battery also.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
MIKE
1280 x 1024 - 384K
BS2.jpg 384.3K

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-03 01:05
    I don't think Belkin's adapter works with Parallax products.· A number of commonly used USB to serial adapters don't implement the handshake lines (DTR particularly) properly and they can't be used to program a Stamp or a Propeller.
  • noobmunchernoobmuncher Posts: 124
    edited 2008-09-03 02:05
    Try looking online, especially at the manufactures website though. i had to downloadsome updated program for mine to work.
  • Dave-WDave-W Posts: 94
    edited 2008-09-03 02:11
    Mike,

I have been there, tried that! Even with updated drivers the Belkin is very marginal at best. Since then, several years ago, I bought the FTDI from Parallax. It works every time. It even works with several specialized programs I use for DVC and DVC-Pro alignments through special software. I cannot say enough good things about the FTDI USB to serial adaptor. Oh yes, it is also the only one that works with my weather station!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave W.
  • roughwireroughwire Posts: 78
    edited 2008-09-03 02:24
    Ok, thanks. I'll look into this FTDI. Better take this thing back and get my $$ back ;D

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    MIKE
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-03 04:05
    FTDI makes several different USB to serial adapters including several that are built into a USB cable.
    Parallax also uses the FTDI chip for all of their USB to serial adapters.