Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
UK Prop Users: where to host a Propeller seminar => how about Scotland and Irel — Parallax Forums

UK Prop Users: where to host a Propeller seminar => how about Scotland and Irel

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
edited 2008-09-12 12:50 in Propeller 1
To our treasured collection of UK customers,

The details first.

As mentioned in another thread,·we're making plans for a 16-seminar Propeller series around the world. We're developing more Propeller customers for the long term. These hands-on·seminars will be focused on product design and applications with the Propeller, and each visitor will bring their own laptop. In keeping with Parallax style and the interest of these forum members, the seminars could have an "Expo" component introduced by OBC, too, meaning educators and hobbyists are·encouraged to attend.·There will be no sales guy present to ask about your application and potential Propeller usage. But do keep in mind we need to sell a lot of Props!

We've neglected the UK a bit, to be honest. We are going to change that! It pains me that the UK isn't fertile Stamps in Class territory, which we've established so well in the USA, Canada and other·places·in Europe.·This time we're going to·support our UK customers with seminars and improved distribution.·Arranging·the seminars is what we're working on·this month.

We'd like your input on where to hold two to three seminars in the UK. What specific towns or regions would you recommend?

Thank you,

Ken Gracey
Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 9/5/2008 9:11:28 PM GMT

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-09-02 16:11
    Three seminars ... that hopefully gets round the British tendency to whinge that where ever it is isn't where it's wanted or it costs too much to get to smile.gif

London is a traditional choice for many, Birmingham also because it's rather central to mainland UK travelwise. There's a regional aspect as well - England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland - and those outside England often complain of being neglected, but I'm not going to get into that debate.

Major regional areas of the UK for those not familiar ...

www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/europe/special/ukreg.htm

I live in East Anglia ( but just north of London ) so my preferences in order would be -

London
    Cambridge ( home of ARM smile.gif )
    Brighton
    Birmingham
    Cardiff
    Manchester

Post Edited (hippy) : 9/2/2008 4:19:25 PM GMT
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-09-02 16:48
    Definitely London. I'm only 90 minutes away by train.

Birmingham or Manchester for central England and the North. I don't think you'd need another.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2008-09-02 17:19
    Ken, this is great news, what format would the seminars take?
    What is your target demographic and how do you intend to publicise the event?

For me Manchester or Liverpool (European capital of culture 2008) would be my preffered choice, I am 45 minutes drive away from either city.
    You might also consider Leeds, Milford instruments are based near to there.

I guess for the South of England London or Cambridge woould be the logical choice.

For Scotland it would have to be Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Regards,

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PropGFX Forums - The home of the Hybrid Development System and PropGFX Lite
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-09-02 17:24
    Coley, we can also run a course in Scotland. Which is the better location for us if you had to choose? Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

P.S. I'll answer your other questions shortly, unless they depend on your reply to my answer/question above.
    edited 2008-09-02 17:37
    Hi Ken,

If I were to choose I guess I would go for Glasgow as it is the larger of the two cities but they are on opposite sides of the coasts of Scotland.

I guess there are merits for both locations, maybe a local search for technology companies would better reflect each area's potential.

Let's not forget our Irish cousins either, maybe if the seminar for the North of England was in Liverpool this would encourage more attendance from them.

Regards,

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-09-02 17:38
    Ken, great news [noparse]:)[/noparse] I personally don't care where in the UK it is, I'm going [noparse]:)[/noparse] be it Lands End or John O'Groats I'll be there [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I've never had to set up a convention, so would be difficult for me to specify a location.
    Liverpool ( Is close for me, and would be close to the ferry for any of our Irish neighbours to come over but that's if you're not doing Ireland also )

Once you have a location set, my only question is when? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Look forward to seeing the Parallax lot [noparse]:)[/noparse] and other members from the forum.

Baggers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2008-09-02 17:40
    snap Coley, for thinking about our Irish forum members. lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
    edited 2008-09-02 18:02
    Hey Ken;

Are you thinking of having demo presentations ala the NE Expo, or will you keep it strictly 'All From Parallax'? I wouldn't mind making the trip to present (& to meet up with the UK guys).

I hope the guys found my presentation useful, but I know I found the other demo presentations very useful. It was also nice having vendors selling their wares (Terry, Brian, etc).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Concentrate on understanding the problem, not applying the tool
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-09-02 18:02
    Keeping close to the M1 might be a good idea, easy communications from a lot of places, they don't have to be major places either, Coventry has a conference centre for example, is easy to get to and is a lot less busy than say Birmingham for example. Leeds, Coventry and Oxford might make sense.

London would be a close venue for me but an expensive one given our rail network.

Graham
  • DarrenYDarrenY Posts: 61
    edited 2008-09-02 18:09
    I'm in Sussex, on the south coast, so London will be perfect for me!
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2008-09-02 19:46
    Hey Ken

Really Exciting stuff - what are you bringing / doing - or is that what you're going to spil later?

Middle of the country - Oxford (M4), or London would be good for me!

You just gotta love Parallax!

James

Edit - oh - can you bring stuff to sell too.· UK Distributers (as has been mentioned many, many times) just don't stock everything...!

Post Edited (Javalin) : 9/2/2008 7:55:47 PM GMT
  • PaulFPaulF Posts: 62
    edited 2008-09-02 20:15
    Hi,
    any chance of a seminar in Ireland (North or South), I'm in Dundalk, Rep. of Ireland. But I'm definitely gonna try and make one seminar.

Paul
  • ciw1973ciw1973 Posts: 64
    edited 2008-09-02 22:47
    I propose the Isle of Man. But then I would, wouldn't I?

As I'll have to hop on a plane or ferry no matter where you hold the seminars, anywhere's good for me. Liverpool or Manchester would save me some money on travel, but I'm often in London anyway, and I could probably just arrange things so I was there when the seminar's on. If you're heading North, then I've had some great nights out in Glasgow and Edinburgh, and wouldn't exactly be upset if I had to head there for a couple of days.
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-09-03 11:18
    RivTec,
    I am based in kerry .. but would travel to UK if needs be..Just wondering how many Irish Proppers are out there ..
    Coley said...
    Let's not forget our Irish cousins either, maybe if the seminar for the North of England was in Liverpool this would encourage more attendance from them.
    Baggers said...
    ..Snap

Cheers Lads ! .. I would travel to any spot you select in the UK ..

Of course we could hold it here too !

Regards,
    John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Those who can, do.Those who can’t, teach.
  • Keith DKeith D Posts: 15
    edited 2008-09-03 11:48
    Personally, I would suggest Manchester for the North of England, though having talked to people who run their own conferences (for the Sinclair QL) you will probably find that people from the North East will support an event in the North East and People in the North West will support an event in the North West, but few will travel between. Similarly you won't fand too many people travelling down to London from the North.

I would also like to ask what days you would be planning to run these events, as I am only a hobbyist, taking time out from work is not very practical so weekends would suit me best!

Can I suggest you start a Poll for both the place and days?

Cheers
    Keith
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-09-04 00:41
    GREAT news indeed Ken.

I'm another who lives in East Anglia (near Norwich) so CAMBRIDGE would be my preference - and you're likely to get plenty of techies & industry types there wink.gif Otherwise: Oxford's good; Ipswich; London (though it's a bit far and expensive for me); Birmingham/Coventry.

Any day would be fine with me - I'll take unpaid leave if I have to!

And bring loadsa Parallax gear with you - if I've not spent my dosh on travel, I'll definitely spend it on products smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

www.norfolkhelicopterclub.com

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again wink.gif
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offence at my writing style smile.gif
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2008-09-04 03:50
    Ipswitch! Who would want to trek all the way out there?
    Certainly Manchester. Heard of UMIST?
    Oxford or Cambridge, Excellent.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
    edited 2008-09-04 13:09
    @heater: Jeez; what was I thinking - and I'm a Norwich City F.C. supporter too! (For those who won't know, Ipswich F.C. is our local rival...)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon

You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again wink.gif
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offence at my writing style smile.gif
  • ESPESP Posts: 25
    edited 2008-09-04 14:37
    I'm in London, so that I would prefer, but like the others, I would travel anywhere in England (A lift from London would be nice if anyone is near Heathrow) Also, please bring lots of stuff we can buy [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Robin
  • Ron SutcliffeRon Sutcliffe Posts: 420
    edited 2008-09-04 14:58
    What months are you planning on? We are currently living in Malaysia but will be France from Mid October to Mid Jan.
    I would pop over for a warm beer !
  • PaulFPaulF Posts: 62
    edited 2008-09-05 12:51
    @ Quattro,

I wasn't ruling out travelling to the UK, I was just letting people know that the prop is alive and well in Ireland ( well there are two of us anyway).

I think that the Prop is a brilliant device. I never got into the PIC so I'm starting my embedded adventure with the prop and enjoying it.
    edited 2008-09-05 13:28
    RivTec, Looks like you started off on the right foot lol, I started out on PIC about 3 years ago now, and boy was that a mistake, my ICD2 unit is just sitting hiding away in a drawer ever since I discovered the Prop [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2008-09-05 17:20
    Sorry for this being off topic!!

@RivTec

I started out with PIC's too and they are still very dear to my heart especially the 8 pin ones like the 12F675.

I just wish that there was a low pin count Propeller with say a couple of cogs, that would be great!!!

Back on topic now....

@Ken

Have you any further details on this now, I would like to know if it would be possible to attend as a vendor and also as I asked earlier, what will your target demographic would be.

Regards,

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-09-05 21:08
    Okay, you've fired many good questions back at me which I fully plan to answer (maybe this weekend).

Do you recommend that we add Ireland or Scotland to the course destinations if we still run two of them in the UK?

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-09-05 22:19
    If I were considering my own similar seminars, ideally two in England ( London plus Manchester or Birmingham ), Ireland combined with NI, and Scotland, but that's four.

The difficult question is with two seminars, England plus Ireland or Scotland, or two in England.

With three, two in England plus Ireland or Scotland, or one in England, Ireland and Scotland.

The question is which maximises attendance and commercial success.
    edited 2008-09-05 22:31
    Ken,

I would, after all they are their own countries [noparse];)[/noparse] and if you are trying to make an impression over here, especially if you're trying to get schools and colleges etc. who might not all want to take the trip over to UK just to see the chip, I know Quattro and RivTec would cross the water to come see it, because they already have been prop'd [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Just my 2p/cents worth.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
    edited 2008-09-05 23:54
    Ken,

London
    Manchester
    Glasgow
    Dublin

If you are planning to run as many as four then they would be my reccomendations, if it's only two then I would do London and Manchester.

I guess we as users of this forum have little or no idea what your market share is here in the UK so it is difficult too judge how many would be adequate.

Would four poorly attended shows be as good as two that are packed to the rafters???

I can only speak from personal experience in that I honestly had never heard of Parallax before I came across the Propeller.
    Sure I had heard of the SX chip and the Basic Stamp but had no idea that Parallax were behind them.

Educational establishments here in the UK are notoriously rigid in sticking to the curriculum that the government sets.
    Further education, colleges and universities are where you maybe would have more success.

The emphasis on microcontrollers here seems to be more biased toward Microchip, Atmel and ARM than anybody else.
    Many of those developers are very blinkered in their outlook toward the rest of the market, many if not most people are resistant to change but I guess that is the same the world over.....

Every person I have shown the Propeller to has always sceptically raised an eyebrow at my enthusiasm and passion for this great little micro but have always been wowed by it's performance and capabilities.

There's little doubt in my mind that if you can organise and fill the right venues you will be more succesful over here than you have been previously, it's a matter of getting bums on seats and letting the products speak for themselves.

Reards,

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-09-07 00:10
    Coley,
    A few good points there - I had asked a question re: How many Irish 'Propppers' were out there - the lack of response said enough .. likely to be very few anyway .. I would hate it if there was a poorly attended one here - perhaps best in the UK - anywhere will do me - I will get there !

Regards,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Those who can, do.Those who can’t, teach.
  • m.r.b.m.r.b. Posts: 36
    edited 2008-09-12 11:50
    I think....

First choice:-
    Birmingham N.E.C. would be a good choice for an expo for England...

It is reasonably well served, by road ...·· By rail: express/intercity trains directly to the N.E.C.
    And by air[noparse]:([/noparse]Birmingham International is nearly next door),·with some domestic routes (At least British-Airways / British-Midland / Eastern-Airways I believe???)

Its quite a way from where I am located (North-Yorkshire)... but on the other hand, it seems the 'fairest' centrally located venue to serve England.

Second choice(s):-

Manchester ... On the M62, good rail connections, served by Manchester International.· OR...

Liverpool·... On the M62, OK rail connections, served by Liverpool John Lennon.

... But the drawback being, these·citys are not as central for England, as a whole!!

As for Scotland/Ireland...

I don't know, and I feel it would be unfair for me to try to influence the choice of these (Scotland/Ireland) venues, when in all likelyhood I would remain unaffected by this choice!!!
    edited 2008-09-12 12:00
    I'd certainly prefer to travel across to Birmingham than into London yeah.gif

The N.E.C. (National Exhibition Centre) may be a bit big, but it's probably a lot cheaper than most locations in London wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,
    Simon