Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Strings and DATA — Parallax Forums

Strings and DATA

dunlistingdunlisting Posts: 3
edited 2008-09-02 15:23 in BASIC Stamp
Please excuse my 'New Kid on the Block' question,

I need to load a string from a·DATA statement into a variable array. Do I guess that I need to load each byte from the string into each location of the array, there is no way I can just assign the string knowing the start location and load it directly into the variable name?

locations DATA "Barnes","OysterLnBusStp","LaurelGrange","Coop","PloughGnSW","PloughGnS","Library","Chemist","Head First","Boundys"
········· DATA "Willows","BreweryMobray","HardwareShop","CarlSarah","Cleaners","POffice","BeautyLnge","Changes","ClockHse","210High"
name VAR Byte(13)

· 'name(0) = "s"
· 'name(1) = "t"
· 'name(2) = "r"
· DEBUG STR name, CR
Hoping one of you Gurus can guide me.

Thanks
Dunlisting
·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-09-02 14:21
    Duplicate post deleted.

Since there is no string support on the BASIC Stamps an array can be used to hold a single string up to the number of characters the array is defined for. Each character would have to be loaded one at a time. It would not be easy to implement using your current DATA arrangement as there is no way to tell where one string ends and the next begins. It would be easier if each word was zero-delimited as follows:
    String1  DATA  "George", 0
    String2  DATA  "Harry", 0
    String3  DATA  "Bob", 0
    String4  DATA  "Michael", 0

In this manner you can use a loop to populate the array until you hit a zero byte. To start you need only know the start address of the data.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • dunlistingdunlisting Posts: 3
    edited 2008-09-02 14:28
    Many thanks Chris, it was as I thought.

Dunlising
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-09-02 14:42
    Here is a quick example of how you might accomplish this task…This is just one way but the most common. Note that the strings are not being printed in the order they are stored.

In this example each data block has an address. When we want to load the string we simply load the work variable with the address of the string and call the Get_String subroutine which then populates the string, zero-delimited. This in turn makes it easy to print using the STR modifier of the DEBUG command as shown. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • dunlistingdunlisting Posts: 3
    edited 2008-09-02 15:23
    Brilliant!, many thanks Chris