Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SD card breakout boards, Sparkfun, uController, sdspi .... pInsanity — Parallax Forums

SD card breakout boards, Sparkfun, uController, sdspi .... pInsanity

ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
edited 2008-09-02 14:32 in Propeller 1
Greetings SD card collectors,
I just got an SD breakout board from Sparkfun and have been trying to determine exactly how to hook it up. Lately I've been sifting through a lot of material on SD cards mentioned by the forum and I'm a little confused over what pins to hook up to what and why. There seems to be some disagreement among sources. Generally speaking, I think I know what Sparkfun's labels mean and to what pins on the Propeller they might be attached for the following: DO, CLK, DI, CS, GND, and VCC. My confusion centers over what to do with the remaining pins on the Sparkfun board; namely: IRQ, P9, CD, WP, and COM.

Observations made of other sources:
The "ready made" SD board from uController shows only pins P0 through P3 and VDD and VSS connected to something. Pins for IRQ, P9, etc don't seem to be connected to anything.

The sdspi object from the Object Exchange shows pins P9 and IRQ being connected to 3.3volts through a 20K resistor.

The Hydra SD Max Card I bought came with a schematic, but I suppose the labels for that schematic are specific to Hydra and are not labeled for general useage, and, besides, the schematic does not indicate where are the physical holes on the printed circuit board, so I have no idea what to solder to.

And I don't know what OBC's "The Propeller Cookbook" is trying to say about pins 8 and 9 - it seems that something was left out on his illustration.

I'm guessing that different folks have different strokes on what to do with these "left over" pins. I'd be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on what works so I don't fry my hard-earned data down the road.

a thousand thanks,
Mark

smile.gif

Comments

• SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2008-09-02 12:54
    p9 and irq are pulled up ( connected to 3.3 thru 10k resistor ) just to be sure they arent floating , i believe
    i just have the DO, CLK, DI, CS, GND, and VCC hooked up on mine, and it works ok.
    i assume you could hook up the write protect pin if you needed that function, not sure about cd.
    dan
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2008-09-02 13:14
    I pull IRQ high through 10k on the uController boards. The value of the pullup is not crucial, 10k works, 20k is fine too.

WP is "write protect" protects the card from being written over or erased. There's no provision for it in software, so really not needed in a Propeller application

CD is "Card Detect" - once again, the software doesn't have a provision to sense if a card is inserted. It checks by software if a card is detected. I use CD on the uController boards to turn on an LED when a card is inserted.

to see the connections I use, and what gets pulled high -
    ucontroller.com/documentation/SDCardDoc.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board

Post Edited (parts-man73) : 9/2/2008 1:21:20 PM GMT
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2008-09-02 13:25
    Take a look at Oldbitcollector's Propeller Cookbook 1.4

He is just showing the minimum·what you need to make it work.

I have Brian's SD Card Adapter. I like the the indicator light.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 9/2/2008 2:11:34 PM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-09-02 14:21
    I went for "what you have to have" to make it work in my Cookbook instructions.
    I've built several to that specification without issue now. Don't sweat the extra connections. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

(BTW, I'm working on an expanded version of the Cookbook for print publication.)

The Sparkfun adapters, while they worked for me were someone confusing compared to
    the others (uController, or designing your own from a socket).

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2008-09-02 14:32
    Excellent dudes,
    thanks for jumping in on my question and providing me with some answers so early in the day. Now I can actually get started on my SD Card adventure with some reasonable confidence.

you guys are great!
    thanks as always,
    Mark
    smile.gif