Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
concerning stupid question — Parallax Forums

concerning stupid question

BadgerBadger Posts: 184
edited 2008-09-02 03:39 in BASIC Stamp
Hello again

I was asking a question because i thought i had read some ware that one of those devices had a build in function that would do the job.

I am poor. that is a fact i am disable as well as my wife. I have an aspergers child .. so a private school is a necessity so every cent i get goes to paying for school and gas to take them to and from. I know how much a diode cost and i will buy my own thank you.. but i was trying to give a little back ground. I am a very sick person and i will not go into that. I am though preparing for sergery tomorrow morning at 615 am (why so early i dont know it is an hour and a half to the location)

and all i needed was an answer to my question

if the few of you out there wish to make fun of my situation that is fine with me.. Maybe i put it in the wrong way but it is out there anyway so what am i to say..

as i said above i thought i read that some ware it might have been the darlington array transistor i will check on that. But thanks any way for the answer

Philip King
Badger

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-09-01 19:53
    Badger,

I too am always poor, and cheap to boot. What I would do is find just about any broken electronic equipment and scavenge what you need. I'd say 3/4 of the parts I use in projects were wrested from some dead doohickey. Diodes are super common and you should be able to find one for free with no problems.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-01 20:12
    Diodes are really cheap and readily found in pretty much any electronic scrap. None of the parts you listed are good choices for the kind of diode function needed to protect against the reverse kickback from the relay coil. The suggestion to use the MOSFET "bulk diode" is the closest to a viable solution. I suspect that any humor was prompted by the list of choices you offered and its unsuitability for the task.

Try the MOSFET. May your surgery go easily and be helpful.
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2008-09-01 20:49
    Johathan

i must not have the ability to spot a diode then I have old motherboards rc trucks and lots of old computer cards that i got through the years being a network engineer. The diodes i have seen pictured here is not what i see on what i have.. any suggestions. LOL

badger
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2008-09-01 20:59
    Mike

that is why i was asking.. when i have an extra few dollars i get anything thing i have read about. I was looking for a darlington array transistor i think that is what i was reading about. But the question i posted was just that a question.. i was just wondering if i hook up these items in some way would it do what i wanted. at the time i did not have the time money or transportation and i was wanting to get don what i was tying to do.

that is why i posted. I dont know what prompted me to write at the bottom of the post what i did. I do take some very hard doctor perscribe narcotics for server pain that i have to live with the rest of my life. so i think that had something to do with it.

so to the person that posted the solution. I may ask you a question or 2 but thanks for the solution. I thought something there would work. due to the lack of knowledge and experience i did not know how.

and by the way thanks for the luck wished on my surgery.. very sad at the moment had to shave my gotee and mustache for the first time in 17 years. bummers

wife thanks i look like a kid now. i cant win for loosing LOL

Badger
    Philip
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-09-01 23:28
    Badger, please try using a descriptive subject line in future posts. This is two posts in a row.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-09-02 02:21
    www.alibaba.com/catalog/10823267/1N4001_1N4004_1N4007_Diode.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2008-09-02 03:23
    Many diodes have a part number starting with 1N*** . Most of them have a band around one end. Some have the symbol of a diode. Take a look on google for "diode wiki". There are diodes I am sure on the junk you describe above.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-09-02 03:39
    Oh, as to darlingtons. Look up the ULN2003A, it's a darlignton array with built in protection diodes and is useful in many ways.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔