Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FTDI original or special drivers? — Parallax Forums

FTDI original or special drivers?

port513port513 Posts: 50
edited 2008-09-05 09:34 in Propeller 1
Hi!

I have a few FTDI chips that I use in my other projects, will Propeller Tool drivers interfere with my original FTDI drivers that is installed from Windows Update?

This is the module I use in my other projects.

"The UB232R is a mini development module for the FT232RQ IC device. It come on a 14mm x 17 mm PCB with a mini B USB connector, and provides USB - Serial UART interface in a extremely small form factor. It is ideal for new development purposes, and also for adding a USB interface to existing product designs.

Based on the FT232RQ device, the UB232R supports RTS/CTS hardware handshaking and is powered from the USB port. Serial data communication is possible at up to 3MBaud at TTL level. In addition, two of the EEPROM configurable CBUS pins of the FT232R are brought out allowing the MM232R to be used to provide clock signals to external logic.

Two 1x4 board headers with a standard 0.1" pitch are supplied with the MM232R to allow for rapid prototyping and development
."

/Henke

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-01 16:50
    The drivers that come with the Propeller Tool and that are available on Parallax's website are supposed to be the same as those available from FTDI's website except that FTDI's may sometimes be newer.

Do not use the ones installed as part of Windows or any Windows Update. They do not work properly.

If in doubt, uninstall any current driver for the FTDI devices and install a fresh copy downloaded from FTDI.
  • port513port513 Posts: 50
    edited 2008-09-01 17:45
    Weird, they do work for me and I really don't want the Propeller Tools to crash my system as other FTDI did when they installed it's own drivers.

And BTW there is no uninstall for the downloaded driver.

/Henke
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-09-02 10:13
    Hi Henke,

My FTDI WinXP drivers installed with the Propeller Tool or from direct download provide an uninstall option in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

If you have trouble uninstalling FTDI drivers FTDI provides a Windows utility to remove them, it is called FTClean and may be downloaded here:

www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm

Hope this helps...

David
  • port513port513 Posts: 50
    edited 2008-09-05 09:34
    Now I'm 100% sure that the drivers installed from Windows Update works 100%

/Henrik