Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
can't get gear running — Parallax Forums

can't get gear running

agfaagfa Posts: 295
edited 2008-09-03 04:59 in Propeller 1
i'm not having any luck installing/running gear.· i'm using the istructions found in Assembly Lanquage Primer for the Absolute·Beginner.· i've tried both gear-1.11.0.0 and gear-V08_04_29.· at the point where i run gear i get a window titled "gear.exe" instead of "gear[noparse]:p[/noparse]arallax propeller emulator".· i've continued on in both cases with VGA_Demo.spin but gear get the "gear window".

what am i missing?

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-09-01 15:50
    Do you have the .net 2.0 installed?

Can you post a screen shot here to see?

Does that window have the "New Plugin" and "Open Plugin" options present?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
  • mirrormirror Posts: 322
    edited 2008-09-01 21:51
    Hmmm, second complaint in two days. I wonder if MicroSoft have recently "enhanced" their .net product? It's a pity (or NOT) that GEAR is the ONLY C# software that I have anything to do with. It makes me very much NOT an expert when the weird stuff happens.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • agfaagfa Posts: 295
    edited 2008-09-02 00:09
    is this the screen shot you wanted?

i'm not familiar with .net.· i checked computer management /·services. i see no reference to it there.

edit: the screen shot is when gear is launched with the propeller tool.· otherwise i get "the application failed to initialize properly blah blah blah".· oops, just now realized there is another thread regarding this.

Post Edited (agfa) : 9/2/2008 12:36:02 AM GMT
    768 x 537 - 42K
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-09-02 01:38
    Oh, that's inside the Propeller Tool!

Maybe that tutorial is wrong or confusing. We don't want to be using the Propeller tool to launch Gear.

Do this on your next try:

Navigate to the directory where gear.exe exists. Do this with ordinary Windows Explorer. (right click on start, choose explore and go from there)

When you see that folder, simply double click on gear.exe, and you should see the gear window, with the two options on it, detailed in my post above.

Gear.exe is just a stand alone executable. You run Propeller Tool to output an EEPROM file that you save. Once this is done, you can close Propeller Tool, then run Gear.exe and use the file, open options to load the EEPROM file into gear for simulation!

Hope that helps. Post up some more screenies and what you did to get there, if you still have trouble.

The "Application failed..." message suggests to me that your .net environment is either missing or not complete. You should have this at a minimum:

{see attached screenie, detailing what the .Net stuff looks like when present on the machine}

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net

Post Edited (potatohead) : 9/2/2008 1:48:03 AM GMT
    952 x 632 - 60K
    edited 2008-09-02 02:00
    thanks for the response.

yeah, i think it's a .net issue.· but having problems getting that installed.· when i get that resolved i'll try again.

thanks again.
    edited 2008-09-03 02:54
    another question.· does .net 2.0 require 64bit xp?
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2008-09-03 03:20
    agfa said...
    does .net 2.0 require 64 bit xp?

No, it doesn't

System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP Service Pack 2

* Required Software:

o Windows Installer 3.0 (except for Windows 98/ME, which require Windows Installer 2.0 or later). Windows Installer 3.1 or later is recommended.
    o IE 5.01 or later: You must also be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or later for all installations of the .NET Framework.
    * Disk Space Requirements: 280 MB (x86), 610 MB (x64)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aka: CosmicBob
    edited 2008-09-03 04:53
    success!

thanks all.
  • mirrormirror Posts: 322
    edited 2008-09-03 04:59
    How .. Pray tell. Maybe there's some help for PFloyd.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔