Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LM34 Fluctuation — Parallax Forums

LM34 Fluctuation

Sutton MurraySutton Murray Posts: 88
edited 2008-09-01 21:40 in BASIC Stamp
I am taking readings from a LM34 through an ADC. I am experiencing fluctuation readings of up to 6 degrees(jumping around).

I even added a 75 ohm resistor an 1uF cap no real difference.

What may be the reason be for this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." ~Ecclesiastes 1:18

Comments

• ChetChet Posts: 150
    edited 2008-08-31 17:51
    from this and you memsic post, I assume you are using both on or arond an engine. The electrical noise from the electrical system and ignition coils can interfere with the signals. Is everything shielded and decoupled properly.
  • Sutton MurraySutton Murray Posts: 88
    edited 2008-09-01 20:16
    Yes, its for the engine,
    Fluctuation on the lm34 occurs on and of (away from the engine). The LM34 is also mounted on the pc board and not on wires.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." ~Ecclesiastes 1:18
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-09-01 20:29
    If your ADC is referenced to Vdd, rather than to a separate reference voltage, it could be Vdd that's fluctuating and throwing off the LM34 conversion.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • Sutton MurraySutton Murray Posts: 88
    edited 2008-09-01 21:40
    Mmm DC-DC converter switch driving the ADC. Thanks for the clue, i will be looking into that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔