Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Memsic False readings with Vibration — Parallax Forums

Memsic False readings with Vibration

Sutton MurraySutton Murray Posts: 88
edited 2008-09-03 21:08 in BASIC Stamp
I have fitted a memsic 2125 on a engine. Hoping to record·the X·and·Y tilt values together with the vibration of the engine.
I found that the X and Y tilt values jumps·around un-accorately·when the engine runs.·In the way the memsic works i guess it is not possible to take readings from·on top of a vibrating engine.

Am i correct????

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." ~Ecclesiastes 1:18

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-08-31 19:42
    Sure it's possible. You are using an accelerometer and it is giving you acceleration readings. If you put it on an engine it will tell you it is vibrating which is what it was designed to do.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Sutton MurraySutton Murray Posts: 88
    edited 2008-09-01 20:09
    Non to sure about that. I also done vibration test when it was on the engine. I was hoping it will give me different value readings at different vibration levels. Here i also failed to sucseed. i belive that memsic can only detect that first intial vibration. Not a level of vibration.
    Do you all agree?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." ~Ecclesiastes 1:18
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-09-01 20:36
    The memsic 2125 is rated to +/- 3g. A vibrating engine could well exceed that limitation. If so, you will not have any headroom for obtaining a tilt reading atop the vibration. Moreover, any vibration readings you attempt would return saturated values.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
    edited 2008-09-01 21:34
    Did not want to know that, i'm doomed-thanks for the input

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-09-01 22:35
    Memsic makes other accelerometers, up to ±35g.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
    edited 2008-09-03 21:08
    Thanks Phil, have been looking at the memsic website. I could not yet find vibration specs for engines. Will the 35g memsic be more than enough for an engine?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔