Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question About PINK — Parallax Forums

Question About PINK

lenswerkslenswerks Posts: 40
edited 2008-09-01 03:21 in BASIC Stamp
Hi folks,

I used the Parallax products 10 years ago in many designs and am just now getting back into using the products and have a question about the PINK.

I've had the PINK for about a week now - very easy to use and great fun!

On the nb_config.htm screen you can set "Web access Password Settings" with a Web file user name, Web file password and Web file password filter. I've found that if you specify a user name and password and leave the password filter blank, meaning you want all WEB files served to require a password, that you can not communicate using the serial interface [noparse][[/noparse]Stamp to PINK] - this includes sending email, reading / writing variables and running·the telnet debug session.

If I specify a password filter, then all works fine.

Is this normal - That the Web access password configuration settings affect the serial interface?

Thanks.

·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-08-31 18:33
    Lenswerks,

This is not normal operation and something I will test for Tuesday. Have you tried powering the module off and back on between changing these settings to make sure there isn’t something else going on?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • lenswerkslenswerks Posts: 40
    edited 2008-09-01 00:07
    Thanks Chris.
    I removed the password filter again, then powered down and up and that did resolve the issue. All working fine now.

Donnie
  • basicstampedebasicstampede Posts: 214
    edited 2008-09-01 00:17
    Lenswerks, Chris,

I've been thinking about buying PINK, but hesitated because I am not sure HOW I should connect it.

That is, can someone give me a simple, "30,000 feet overview" of·how to connect it?··Something like:

····Internet··<-->· PC·<--> PINK·<--> BS2
    ······································· |
    ······································· |
    ······································ Internet via (XYZ connector)

·
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-09-01 00:28
    Page 2 of the documentation shows how it is connected.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • basicstampedebasicstampede Posts: 214
    edited 2008-09-01 00:52
    Lenswerks, thanks.·

For the Ethernet connection, would that be·the Ethernet connection at·back of my AT&T DSL wireless modem?

·
    edited 2008-09-01 02:41
    basicstampede said...
    Lenswerks, thanks.·

For the Ethernet connection, would that be·the Ethernet connection at·back of my AT&T DSL wireless modem?

I would·recommend you add a router so that you have some control. I use BrightHouse [noparse][[/noparse]Scientific Atlanta] cable modem. The output from cable modem I take to DI-524 D-LINK wireless router, but any of the wireless routers will do. I·like D-LINK as it·is well·documented.·Plug PINK into the router and follow the PINK manual for setup. Once set up you can then log on to the router and make the assigned·PINK IP static and set up port forwarding for WAN access.

You can then use one·of the free services·offered on the NET·to keep track of·your WAN·IP so that you can access·PINK with a node name, not your DSL IP, as·the IP·can change daily. no-ip.com is one.

Donnie
    edited 2008-09-01 03:10
    By the way - I'm building this on the Professional Development Board - What a great product!

The components I'm using on the board are the Emic, SSI202 for touch tone decoding, [noparse][[/noparse]using the Stamp for touch tone encoding], XECOM XE0052SIP for connection to telephone·line·[noparse][[/noparse]moving to·cell module later], PIR, VF display and Sensirion SHT11.

I'll use X-10 as well. I'm currently using the BS2, but switching to BS2p-40 for the additional I/O and features.

For the WEB page development·I'm using MS FrontPage, then dragging and dropping them on an open PINK ftp session window.

Donnie
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-09-01 03:21
    The problem here is that if you don’t understand networking you can quickly find yourself in a situation of not being able to get things working the way you want them and being unable to troubleshoot the issue. The PINK module is really recommended for those with an understanding of computer networking and how to setup and change devices on the network. Without this information you could end up in over your head rather quickly and Parallax Tech Support would be unable to assist in that case.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering