Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help-not sure about holes on propeller proto board — Parallax Forums

Help-not sure about holes on propeller proto board

MegaSpinMegaSpin Posts: 9
edited 2008-08-31 02:08 in Propeller 1
Hi,

I'm new at working with boards. My question is related to the innermost "holes" (for lack of a better term) on the Parallax Proto board. The holes marked P0-P31 are I/O ports, right? And VDD holes supply 3.3 volts? What about the ring of holes just next to those? Are they I/O ports or power? Also, where would you attach simple things that just need power and not I/O, such as LEDs or a piezo speaker?

Thanks!

Comments

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-08-30 21:54
    MegaSpin,

If you look closely at the TWO rows of holes/pads around the Prop area, you'll note each pair away from the Prop are connected on the top side; use a multimeter to verify this if needed.

The rest of the other holes away from the Prop are unused; for use for what ever purpose needed. A very useful breadboarding area for us Protoboard owners.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-30 22:13
    Other pre-determined "holes" are marked on the top surface. Power (Vin / Vdd / +5V) and ground are available along the edge of the board next to the regulators. There are "holes" next to the space for the servo connectors for connecting to them. There's an obvious ground bus running vertically on the right side of the board (with the regulators towards the top and the power connector to the left).
  • MegaSpinMegaSpin Posts: 9
    edited 2008-08-30 22:30
    Harley said...
    MegaSpin,

If you look closely at the TWO rows of holes/pads around the Prop area, you'll note each pair away from the Prop are connected on the top side; use a multimeter to verify this if needed.

The rest of the other holes away from the Prop are unused; for use for what ever purpose needed. A very useful breadboarding area for us Protoboard owners.

Yes, I can see they're connected.

I don't want to appear dim, or anything, but what does this mean?·Do both·holes/pads do the samething? -i.e., the·P0 pad and its neighbor hole...are they BOTH I/O port 0?
    Both holes under VDD...are they both·3.3 volts?·
  • MegaSpinMegaSpin Posts: 9
    edited 2008-08-30 22:33
    Mike Green said...
    Other pre-determined "holes" are marked on the top surface. Power (Vin / Vdd / +5V) and ground are available along the edge of the board next to the regulators. There are "holes" next to the space for the servo connectors for connecting to them. There's an obvious ground bus running vertically on the right side of the board (with the regulators towards the top and the power connector to the left).
    Can any of the power holes be used for LEDs?
  • CassLanCassLan Posts: 586
    edited 2008-08-31 02:08
    MegaSpin said...

...but what does this mean?·Do both·holes/pads do the samething? -i.e., the·P0 pad and its neighbor hole...are they BOTH I/O port 0?
    Both holes under VDD...are they both·3.3 volts?

Can any of the power holes be used for LEDs?
    Yes the protoboard provides 2 "holes" or pads that are connected to the same pin on the propeller all around it...as well as many unassigned pads for whatever components you wish to use them for. This comes in handy when you want to connect more than one lead to lets say P0, well you already have 2 places to solder to without having to get messy...or...if you want to place female headers AND male headers next to each other for your proto typing and testing needs.

You can place LEDs on the protoboard, just make sure you use a current limiting resistor and you shouldn't damage anything.

I would suggest probing around the protoboard with a DMM on continuity to see which pads are "touching" each other and ofcourse read the protoboard documentation.

Rick

·
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-08-31 02:08
    They could, with a little resistance for safety sake.
    What do you have in mind?

Take a gander at the two guides below, they will give you more
    ideas for those little holes. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Welcome to the Propeller.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS